Workload Transfer from the Vermont Service Center to the California Service Center

USCIS recently began transferring certain casework from the Vermont Service Center (VSC) to the California Service Center (CSC) to balance workloads and decrease processing times. The CSC will now process some:

  • Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, for petitioners requesting L-1 Intracompany Transferee nonimmigrant classification;
  • Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, for the L-2 nonimmigrant classification; and
  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, for L-2 nonimmigrants applying for employment authorization.

How You Will Be Affected If We Transfer Your Case

If we transfer your case, we will send you a transfer notice. Your original receipt number will not change, and the transfer will not delay the processing of your case. Please allow two weeks from the date of this notice before referring to the webpage for CSC processing times for your respective petition or application. Information regarding processing times can be found on the USCIS Processing Time Information page. If you do not receive a decision or notice by the dates provided in the processing times (once posted), you may contact the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) for a status update of the Form I-129 (if you are the I-129 petitioner or authorized representative) or the Form I-539 and/or I-765 (if you are the I-539/I-765 applicant or authorized representative). 

The filing location and instructions for these forms have not changed at this time. Please continue to file the forms at the address on the form instructions and on the USCIS website.

If you want to upgrade your I-129 petition to premium processing, you must file Form I-907, Request for Premium Processing Service, along with the appropriate fee. Send your form to:

 For regular (non-courier) mail:  For courier mail: 
California Service CenterCalifornia Service Center
ATTN: 1-12924000 Avila Road
P.O. Box 10825 2nd Floor, Room 2312
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607Laguna Niguel, CA 92677


For more information on requests for premium processing services, please visit our Form I-907, Request for Premium Processing Service page.

How to Track the Status of Your Case

Check your case status online by entering your receipt number. You can also sign up to receive automatic case status updates by email.

If you do not receive a decision within the published processing times, you may contact the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 800-375-5283 (TTY 800-767-1833). When asking about your case status, please provide us with your receipt number and specify that your case was transferred to a new location.

If we send you any notice (such as a Request for Evidence), please read it carefully and follow the instructions provided when responding.

If you move while your case is pending, you must inform USCIS of your address change. You may file a change of address on our website or by calling the NCSC. It is important that you notify us of any address change as soon as possible, so that you continue to receive notifications from USCIS.

Last Reviewed/Updated: 03/29/2016