On American Immigrant Investor Alliance

by Ishaan Khanna for AIIA

AIIA Legal Community Outreach Instructions + Template

Date of Issue: 16th August, 2021 

Instructions: 

Dear EB-5 investor,

We have put together a template for you to use to help spread the word about AIIA.

First, a little background: AIIA has drafted proposed grandfathering legislation, with the assistance of Robert Divine, titled the “Foreign Investor Fairness Protection Act” (FIFPA). FIFPA is a one-page bill with the sole purpose of grandfathering all existing EB-5 investors through the present and all future lapses of the EB-5 Regional Center program. Text of the draft FIFPA bill is available here.

Since our launch in June 2021, AIIA has raised over $30,000 from 90+ investors. This has been a fantastic response and, in any other time, would have given us sufficient runway to work on our long term objectives and to fund our current political consultancy. However, with investors in so many stages of the process who are hurting because of the current lapse, we must do something to protect our interests and ensure that we are never left as vulnerable again. We therefore hope to raise enough money to hire a lobbyist in order to promote the grandfathering bill. For that we need much more awareness and fundraising.

Here is the specific AIIA action plan on this:

• We need every single EB-5 investor to reach out to their attorney to inform them about AIIA through this letter and to implore them to mention AIIA to their investor clients. We need to point out the win-win results of this partnership as the attorneys would rather see their clients’ immigration process moving along rather than frozen as it is today.
  • Once you have done a reach out, offer to set up a call for the head lawyers at the law firm with AIIA, if required. If some lawyers need additional strategic information, AIIA can communicate this with them over a call.
  • Finally, feel free to offer them the template below to ease their effort in this regard.

You can also speak with your attorney on the phone about this rather than over email if you prefer. Here is a template you can use (Please feel free to edit and personalize it as you wish): 

Dear <attorney>,

My name is __________ and I am one of your EB-5 investor clients. This is the seventh week of the EB-5 Regional Center Program lapse and I, like many others, am very anxious about the clear impact this is having on my immigration and investment timeline. 

Through this email, I wish to inform you about the American Immigrant Investor Alliance (AIIA), (www.goaiia.org). AIIA is a Washington, D.C.-based 501 (c) (4) non-profit organization whose sole mission is to represent and protect all existing EB-5 investors. AIIA has been endorsed by IIUSA as an important stakeholder organization in the EB-5 space and is working to change the negative perception of the EB-5 program in Congress. 

I support AIIA’s mission and I hope that after learning about this organization, you will too.

AIIA has worked with Robert C. Divine - chair of the immigration division at Baker Donelson - to draft the Foreign Investor Fairness Protection Act (FIFPA), a single-objective bill that seeks to grandfather in all existing EB-5 applications, as per the EB-5 legislation that was in place at the time of their filing, regardless of the current state of authorization of the program. This lapse has greatly affected me and my family <write about how this program lapse has affected you….Career interruptions, life/family plans changed,....impact on kids education, if applicable….>

As the attorney to whom I have entrusted my immigration journey, I and AIIA need your help!

In order to achieve its goal of protecting existing EB-5 investors, AIIA needs much more awareness among EB-5 investors and I believe that law firms like yours can help spread the message. I urge you to spread the word about AIIA to all your existing investor clients so that they too can join AIIA’s advocacy efforts on the Hill. 

I firmly believe that as an immigration attorney, you have the best interests of your clients at heart. I would appreciate getting your support in working together to achieve our common goal of helping EB-5 investors attain their immigration objectives. I am sure you would agree that the best way to attract new investors to the program is to ensure that the existing investors are treated fairly. 

In the meantime, if you would like to have a conversation with AIIA, its objectives, long term goals or would like to work together with them, please let me know and I would be glad to reach out to the AIIA board to arrange a dialogue.

To assist you with the reach out efforts, below is a recommended draft email/blog post to send out to your EB-5 investor clients. Feel free to make suitable modifications. I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

<Your Full Name>

EB-5 Attorney - Suggested email/blog draft for investor clients.

Dear EB-5 Investor,

As you may know, the EB-5 Regional Center program has lapsed and, if you have not yet attained your conditional green card (CGC), USCIS has announced that it will hold your application in abeyance. We understand that this is distressing for you, as it is for us. While we are making all possible efforts to get the program reauthorized, we would encourage you to get involved with the American Immigrant Investor Alliance (AIIA), an organization run by and for EB-5 investors like yourselves.

The American Immigrant Investor Alliance is a Washington, D.C. based 501 (c) (4) non-profit formed to make up for the lack of investor representation on EB-5 issues. In light of the current lapse of the Regional Center program and conversations around the new reauthorization legislation, AIIA’s primary goal is to ensure investors have a seat at the table when it comes to EB-5 program reform.

AIIA has recently drafted a single-objective bill called the Foreign Investor Fairness Protection Act (FIFPA), that seeks to grandfather in all existing EB-5 applications, as per the EB-5 legislation that was in place at the time of their filing, regardless of the current state of authorization of the program.

Here is what you, as an EB-5 investor, can do to help AIIA and reauthorization efforts. Their website goaiia.org has further details but we encourage you to:

• Become an advocate - AIIA needs investors to advocate for them as they do outreach to policymakers. Having representative investors from different regional centers and states will help amplify your voice.
  • Volunteer - AIIA is looking for volunteers who can help in various areas, such as public outreach, research and data analysis, media-management, etc. 
  • Spread the word about AIIA - Follow them on Twitter. Tell your fellow EB-5 investors about them and their cause. 
  • Watch and share their YouTube video and subscribe to their YouTube channel. The webinars conducted by them summarize the organization and explain what they are doing regarding reauthorization.
  • Donate to them - AIIA is a grassroots funded nonprofit and relies solely on donations to fight for investors’ interest. Most investors are donating $500 - $1000, but even $100 helps. 
  • Subscribe to their newsletter - Send them a message and ask to be added to their list so you can keep up to date with their efforts.

Shorter version of suggested email draft:

Dear EB-5 investor,

As you may know, the EB-5 Regional Center program has lapsed and USCIS has announced that it will hold your application in abeyance. We understand that this is distressing for you, as it is for us. We are making all efforts to ensure reauthorization. In the meantime, we encourage you to get involved with the American Immigrant Investor Alliance (AIIA), a Washington, D.C.-based non-profit organization formed by EB-5 investors to represent the interests of all investors in negotiations with the Congress and other stakeholders. While its short-term objectives are to ensure a fair deal for existing investors in the reauthorization negotiations, its longer-term objectives include other reforms, including shorter processing times and improving transparency at USCIS. Please visit their website, goaiia.org, to learn more and to support AIIA in its efforts by donating, volunteering and joining in its discussions with policymakers.

AIIA has recently drafted a single-objective bill called the Foreign Investor Fairness Protection Act (FIFPA), that seeks to grandfather in all existing EB-5 applications, as per the EB-5 legislation that was in place at the time of their filing, regardless of the current state of authorization of the program.

About The Author

Ishaan Khanna is a founder of AIIA. The American Immigrant Investor Alliance (AIIA) is a registered 501 (c) (4) organization dedicated to informing, educating, and advocating on behalf of all EB-5 investors from across the globe. Immigration by Investment matters in the US have numerous stakeholders each focused on their own agendas. Until AIIA's formation, there was no single organization effectively advocating on behalf of EB-5 investors. AIIA was founded in 2021 by four immigrant-investors to provide a voice and representation on behalf of investors. Through active and extensive outreach within the immigration and investment communities, government administrative agencies, Congressional leadership and other stakeholders, AIIA provides investors a seat at the table with respect to decisions and actions that affect them. As an organization whose sole focus is on EB-5 investors, both that are resident in the US and those awaiting their petitions to be adjudicated outside the US, AIIA strives to be the single authoritative investor-focused advocacy organization representing interests of all EB-5 investors.

The opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the opinion of ILW.COM.