How to get a receipt at the Social Security office to present to an employer for Employment Verification (Form I-9) purposes?


After the SSA stopped issuing the detailed SSN printouts, also called numidents, some have reported problems in obtaining evidence for Employment Verification (Form I-9) purposes.

The SSA has clarified in an email that it is still their policy that they will continue to issue those simple receipts. As stated in the email “If you request a receipt, it will be provided after the Social Security office is certain all document requirements have been met and verified to assign an SSN or issue the replacement card. Most employers will accept the receipt until the card is available.

Note, for employment verification purposes, the receipt would only be valid for 90 days, and at the end of the 90 days, the employee would have to produce the actual Social Security Card. This is discussed some on page 7 of the Handbook for Employers (M-274).

This post originally appeared on Harry Gee & Associates Reprinted with permission

About The Author

Patrick O'Rourke

Patrick O'Rourke is an attorney with Harry Gee and Associates and is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Immigration and Nationality Law and his area of expertise includes employment based petitions, employer compliance issues with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, family based immigration, and removal defense.

The opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the opinion of ILW.COM.