free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: California's Drivers Licences

Hola,
    Has anyone from this forum applied for a driver's licence in California as an undocumented immigrant? Anyone had any expirience, or knows someone that is undocumented and got driver's licence in California recently?
    Mucho thanks in advance

Hola,
    Has anyone from this forum applied for a driver's licence in California as an undocumented immigrant? Anyone had any expirience, or knows someone that is undocumented and got driver's licence in California recently?
    Mucho thanks in advance

Can someone tell me on here why they are giving drivers licence to illegals? I mean it's a form of encouragement for many to come here and drive. Most places just require DL as a form of identification. I think the most of the illegals come from Mexico so border patrol should be reinforced. Is there any logic behind this policy. Again no harm meant, pardon my ignorance. Can anyone explain the reasons. Thanks

The principal reason the law was changed to allow "illegal" aliens to get driver's licenses was to improve safety. Thousands of illegals are already driving in California without licenses (and without insurance), and they cause a lot of accidents. Also, unlicensed drivers (illegal and otherwise) cause many deaths. The thought was that if illegal aliens were permitted to get licenses, they would have to take and pass a driving test, which would improve traffic safety. Also, they would be able to get insurance, which would cut down on the problem of accidents being caused by uninsured drivers.

I have no idea if the law will work, but that (in a nutshell) was the idea behind it.

I have in-laws in California that have said the law won't go into effect until January, and they must wait until then. I would like to see some feedback from anyone who does go through the process. I agree that it is better to have a way of letting people be licensed and insured rather than forcing them to be unlicensed and further under the law than they already are. Also- it is no longer true that "most illegal aliens go to Claifornia".

By the way- I would just like to ake a note. Some people here have voiced their objection to licensing without proof of immigration status based on the idea that a DL is ID. I don't think anyone accepts a DL as proof of *status*, and it never was. As for ID, even if the matricula is not acceptable, a citizen of any country is always able to get a passport from the consulate of their country in the United States and that passport is valid ID anywhere in the world. I always encourage people to choose a passport over getting a matricula, even though it is more expensive.