publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Stupid comments from an immigration officer about marriage fraud!

Yesterday I called the BCIS customer service regarding a question I had about a form. The customer service respresentative that I spoke with could not answer my question, so she transferred me to an immigration officer. The lady was nice enough and answered my question, but she then asked me "Can I ask you a question?" I told her sure. She then asked how did I meet my husband. My I-129F petition was just approved on July 28, and is now going to the NVC. My husband is in India. I told her we met over the computer. I am not ashamed of this fact because we met over a year ago, and nobody knows our relationship but us. I went to India in April and spent time with him and his family, and I could have come home and just applied for regular fiance visa, but we wanted to marry in India and so we did. Anyway, the first thing she said to me when I told her how we met was, "You do know there is a lot of marriage fraud going on don't you?" That comment sent me right into orbit. These immigration officers have a predetermined concept that every foreign marriage is fraud I think. I am still just fuming over that comment today. Who cares how we met??? The fact is we have a valid and legal marriage with a marriage certificate filed in Kolkata and also here in my county's courthouse. I believe these immigration officers make a lot of unnecessary comments. I guess it would have been ok if I had met a guy on a weekend in Las Vegas and gotten an on the spot marriage there like so many do, but they question a relationship that went on nearly a year before we married? I just can't understand this!!! Well the officer didn't know who I was or anything. It was just a generalized statement she made. I wonder do others face the same "persecution?"

Yesterday I called the BCIS customer service regarding a question I had about a form. The customer service respresentative that I spoke with could not answer my question, so she transferred me to an immigration officer. The lady was nice enough and answered my question, but she then asked me "Can I ask you a question?" I told her sure. She then asked how did I meet my husband. My I-129F petition was just approved on July 28, and is now going to the NVC. My husband is in India. I told her we met over the computer. I am not ashamed of this fact because we met over a year ago, and nobody knows our relationship but us. I went to India in April and spent time with him and his family, and I could have come home and just applied for regular fiance visa, but we wanted to marry in India and so we did. Anyway, the first thing she said to me when I told her how we met was, "You do know there is a lot of marriage fraud going on don't you?" That comment sent me right into orbit. These immigration officers have a predetermined concept that every foreign marriage is fraud I think. I am still just fuming over that comment today. Who cares how we met??? The fact is we have a valid and legal marriage with a marriage certificate filed in Kolkata and also here in my county's courthouse. I believe these immigration officers make a lot of unnecessary comments. I guess it would have been ok if I had met a guy on a weekend in Las Vegas and gotten an on the spot marriage there like so many do, but they question a relationship that went on nearly a year before we married? I just can't understand this!!! Well the officer didn't know who I was or anything. It was just a generalized statement she made. I wonder do others face the same "persecution?"

with INS/BCIS we are all guilty of marriage fraud until proven innocent. I wish i could find the link that states same!

Please know that some of these questions these people ask are mainly to gauge your psychology. They just want to check out things to be sure you deserve the benefit you get.

Remember thats big brother, and they can ask you anything including the color of underclothes you are wearing, and then ask your husband same question to see if you guys have been together.

So dont get offended by that simple question. They also asked us the same, and everyone else gets the same question, esp if you come from one of those high immigrant countries.

And believe me, the law allows them to ask these questions.

to Sheri,

I knew my husband before I came to US on a tourist visa. I moved with him when I came here and 18 months later we got married in Las Vegas. we had the interview 14 months ago. Now they say our case is in fraud unit. the officer was obviously biased. she had married to a guy from my home country and had problems with her mother in law.
    where did you file your case? did you call the national service or the local office?

Lala,

I called the national office. I do realize that there is a lot of marriage fraud these days, but what about those of us with valid marriages? We are all treated like fraud marriages. An immigration attorney here in my state once told me that he guarantees me that the State Department will find something wrong with my marriage. I told him i have a valid and legal marriage. He said it didn't matter because they will still accuse me of marriage fraud. Must be a standard practice for them. He said my husband will face a very harsh interview in India. Our case was sent to NVC last week. Still waiting to hear from them. Don't know how long this process will take.

Sheri. this is lala. Please read my story under the name of Karen on the board. You are completely right and the lawyer told you the truth. At least my first interview is an example of what he said to you. They even treat people from eastern countries differently from europeans or americans. I cannot tell you to hire a lawyer, because I got screwed by one. and as a result I am in this situation now. I

lala,

I read your post and what a nightmare! Even though we have all documentation and marriage certificate and pictures, I still worry. The interviewer can deny us simply if he/she is having a bad day, and that's the fact. We are trying to be as prepared as we can when my husband faces his interview in India. We still don't have a date for that yet. I guess everyone is right--we are all guilty of marriage fraud in their eyes until we prove ourselves innocent. I had never even been on an airplane before in my life due to my fear of flying until I flew to India to marry my husband! I sure didn't fly there and London and Chicago and Washington DC and even get stuck in Russia (which was a very nice place by the way) all by myself for a marriage fraud. If only those people at BCIS knew what I and my husband have gone through to be together...I am sure I am not the only one who can say that though. Wishing you luck Lala.