50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Canada for less than 30 days-- in the US on H1 but don't have a visa stamped on my passport - Mr Morales or anyone, could you help?

Hi guys,
    Anyone familiar with travelling laws now.... My husband and I want to visit my parents in Canada. It used to be that you could travel to Canada without a visit visa if you were going to be back in less than 30 days. All you had to do was show immigration your visa or your H1/H4 approval notices. Now with all this special registration, is there anyone who can tell me if we can still do that? Also, could anyone who has left and returned to the US and is on the list of countries required to register so far let me know what you had to go through at the entry/exit ports and the 30-day interview because I'd like to know what my husband should be prepared for. Also, what will happen to me when I enter and exit.... Do i just walk on while my husband registers his entry or exit?

Hi guys,
    Anyone familiar with travelling laws now.... My husband and I want to visit my parents in Canada. It used to be that you could travel to Canada without a visit visa if you were going to be back in less than 30 days. All you had to do was show immigration your visa or your H1/H4 approval notices. Now with all this special registration, is there anyone who can tell me if we can still do that? Also, could anyone who has left and returned to the US and is on the list of countries required to register so far let me know what you had to go through at the entry/exit ports and the 30-day interview because I'd like to know what my husband should be prepared for. Also, what will happen to me when I enter and exit.... Do i just walk on while my husband registers his entry or exit?

As far as I know (I'm in the same boat) you'll need a visa to come back - that means have to go to the embassy in Canada and as I was told here - chances are you'll be send back to your home country.

Well, my brother travelled on his H1 approval notice last summer. His company's legal department furnished him with all the info and told him he could travel on just the approval notice if he was coming back within 30 days. I want to know if that's possible now with all the registration thingy.

No, it is not possible anymore. This is why consular processing in Mexico and Canada is not as popular as previously. If the visa application was denied, the applicant would have to travel from Mexico or Canada to their home country to apply for the visa.

In this case, try to make an appointment at the closest U.S. consulate in Canada to get a visa to travel back into the U.S.

Fari,

Yes. You can travel to Canada with a expired Visa. You have to have a valid I-94 card and a valid H-1 B approval with you. However, there are two conditions with it.

1. Your stay would be less than 30 days.

2. You are not supposed to apply for a US visa while you are in canada. You can go there for a visit and stuff but if you apply for a visa in US consulate in Canada and if they reject you, You cannot come back.

Hope this helps.
    Desi27

I do not know... about Desi - I would really like to know more if someone can help. I am planning to go to Toronto for a week (business) and I need a canadian visa to go there. In canadian embassy in Washington they told me I need an appointment in US consulate in toronto before I go there - they did not offer me any other options/ I have H1B approved and no stamp in the passport. By the way - anybody with the experience of getting their visa stamped there... Any problems??? People say about rejections -do they happen often I mean if the paperwork is ok

You may wanna check that about this matter:

http://murthyforum.atinfopop.com/4/OpenTopic

I'm not clear.... will I need a visit visa to travel to Canada or do I just have to have an H1 or H4 stamped in my passport to travel without a visit visa? Our visas are renewals, so I think we may be able to get ours stamped within the US if we staple our old passports with our new ones. If we do get visas stamped on our passports, can we come and go without getting a visit visa?

If you have the visas stamped in the passports already then you can renew them within the US.