50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What happens if we get divorce ??? Do I loose my Green Card??

Even tho, I call the cops to get my green card and ss card. The gouvernment can take it from me after divorce because I don't have any proof to remove my condition on my green card.
    We don't have any joint proof! We only have a gym membership together. That's it.
    We have been to one holiday together after I moved here. so I have some pictures. That's it.

So what proof I can find to prouve it was a love mariage ?

Quote Originally Posted by meera0608 View Post
    Even tho, I call the cops to get my green card and ss card. The gouvernment can take it from me after divorce because I don't have any proof to remove my condition on my green card.
    We don't have any joint proof! We only have a gym membership together. That's it.
    We have been to one holiday together after I moved here. so I have some pictures. That's it.

So what proof I can find to prouve it was a love mariage ?
    Social Security number, once issued, is yours for life. Nobody will "take away" your permanent residency after divorce. You could lose it if you fail to file for Removal of Conditions, or it is denied. Even if it is denied, you can file it again, or file it with the immigration judge at removal proceedings, so there is more than one chance with it. You will remain a permanent resident until an immigration judge makes a final order removing you.

It is unfortunate that you don't have much proof of joint accounts, etc., but try the best you can to find any type of evidence. You can also get affidavits from people who knew you when you were married, if you don't have much else.

ok I can have the affidavit.... it's a letter, right?

We were also at the gym together. but How can i proof that?

these are the 2 things I have to proof we were together .

Also, I will need a lawyer to help
    me for my green card after my divorce but I don't have money because my husband never gave me money ! I had to ask him for money when I wanted to buy anything.

Do you know who can help me please?

thank you very much for everyone's help :-)

Very good good interms of information.

Hi,
    I have somewhat of a similar situation in my case i am the naturalized us citizen and i'm the one that wants the divorce we've been married for 5 years and just last year in August my husband recieved his green card but i was told that we still have to be married a couple years after he recieved it in order for him to keep it, is it true? we also have a 5 year old child and we have lots of proof that it was a love marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by jamo62411 View Post
    Hi,
    I have somewhat of a similar situation in my case i am the naturalized us citizen and i'm the one that wants the divorce we've been married for 5 years and just last year in August my husband recieved his green card but i was told that we still have to be married a couple years after he recieved it in order for him to keep it, is it true? we also have a 5 year old child and we have lots of proof that it was a love marriage.
    As long as the marriage was not fraudulent, it doesn't matter how long you stay married after getting the green card.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ;130572
    TO HELPLESS:

I must tell you that you are completely wrong when you said in your post that "even though you married to us citizen, if you get divorced before 2 yrs then you would not get p. residency or be deported or etc", but that is not true at all. You can still be able to get your green card even if you married only for one day and did not live together as long as you can prove that you entered into the marriage in a good faith, i means not for the purpose of green card only.

According to your post, it sounds like that yr husband is abusing you mentally and financially ( may be physically also which i do not know at this point) which makes you a perfect applicant for green card under battered spouse law and you do not need him to sponsor you for a green card since under that law you can do that by yourself and you will get full parmanent residency instead of temp one, if approved. You do not need any attorney for that. I can help you if you want to the best of my abilities since i have helped hundred of indivials and have spent yrs in studying immigration laws.

First of all, you need to gather all the documents as many you can to prove that your marriage is a bonafide marriage. Please read my prior post above which was written for original poster( peacekeeper),which would give you the little idea about how to handle your situation. In your case you do not need to have any conditional or permanent residency to file a battered spouse application and pl. do not wait anymore if you choose to file this battered spouse application(I-360) and you need to move as soon as possible because you need a approval on that application before you receive your interview date on the application package filed by your husband, otherwise you do need to file the application I-485 again which means you need to wait one or more years again to process it and have to spend its filing fee($245) again. But, if you move now, you can be able to use the previously filed same I-485, so do not delay if are thinking that your marriage is falling apart, and you would not be staying in marriage for couples of yrs more since after the temp. green card on the application filed by yr husband, you need to be stayed 2 more yrs in marriage in order to get p. residency. There are other more advise i could provide you in details in yr case based on the laws and my experience if i know which way you specifically wanted to proceed. You can provide me yr email address if you want since it is highly uncomfortable to me to give you legal advise in that much detail on the net over here, you know what i mean. You do not need to continue be stayed anymore in this marriage wherin threats and abuses are going on just because your husband has filed the green card application for you. I am sorry for your situation. I wish you choose the right way whichever is suitable to your situation, and if you need further help, you can contact me. Good luck.
    Thanks for a detailed answer!