50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: helppp...with visa situation!

i overstayed for almost a year in the Usa i am planning to get marry next month with a usa citizen but a lawyer told me that my visa has a restriction (my visa is j -1) it says 202 two year rule does apply!...and she said that this is an issue ...she need to explain me this better ..can somebody help me first? and somebody knows why the town office is asking for my passport?...do they wanna check my name and date of birth or actually they wanna check my visa?..i really need help

i overstayed for almost a year in the Usa i am planning to get marry next month with a usa citizen but a lawyer told me that my visa has a restriction (my visa is j -1) it says 202 two year rule does apply!...and she said that this is an issue ...she need to explain me this better ..can somebody help me first? and somebody knows why the town office is asking for my passport?...do they wanna check my name and date of birth or actually they wanna check my visa?..i really need help

what "town office" is asking for you passport? what state, what city, what county - and who is the one asking for your passport?

Have you contacted your Embassy in the US about getting a "No Objection" letter? You can have the two year requirement waived if your country doesn't object.

new hampshire

Some states will not issue a marriage license to an illegal alien and will naturally ask for a valid passport or visa or both. The government does not want overstayers who find themselves in trouble when their visas have expired to run out and find a USC to marry, using that as a way to stay without penalty or consequences for overstaying.

The J-1 normally has a two-year foreign residency requirement. Check you I-20 to see if you are subject to it. If not, then you're O.K. If you are, then you either need to look into a waiver, which may be difficult since you overstayed or spend two years abroad.

If you spend two years abroad after spening more than 180 days in unlawful status in the U.S., you could be subject to a three to ten year bar. Meaning that if you leave, you could not reenter until the bar has timed-out. Even if you have an approved petition.

Please contact me at info@myronmorales.com if you have additional questions.

Good luck. Just do things by the book next time