publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: MOHAN??? I was brought to the states when 8, i just turned 18. What can I Do?

I was brought to the states when 8, i just turned 18.
    I heard since i am no longer a minor and had no choice
    to come the states, I can now go and try to get
    citizenship by proving to them proof that ive have
    been here 10 years (illegaly though).which i do have, school records and
    other ways to prove. My parents never have had their
    papers. Now im the one that is stuck and cant continue
    my schooling. And i found out all of this only 6 month
    ago.I do not want to get a visa, i want to be american
    and i believe the 10 past years have made me more
    american. If anyone has any info please write to me at
    kevinbarbot@yahoo.com. thank you

MOHAN?
    guest -111 told me to ask you.

(illegaly though)
    it is very difficult.it was not indicated before.
    your entry was legal entry in usa or crossing borders.
    Better consult lawyer.
    ok

my entry was legal. but stayed, over 90 days, obviously. I didnt ask to come here, and now i am. And i definately think of the usa as my country. im just lost and getting more and more frustrated.

B) 13/ ALIENS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT.-

(i) In general.-Any alien (other than an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence) who-

(I) was unlawfully present in the United States for a period of more than 180 days but less than 1 year, voluntarily departed the United States (whether or not pursuant to section 244(e)) prior to the commencement of proceedings under section 235(b)(1) or section 240, and again seeks admission within 3 years of the date of such alien's departure or removal, or

(II) has been unlawfully present in the United States for one year or more, and who again seeks admission within 10 years of the date of such alien's departure or removal from the United States,is inadmissible.

(ii) Construction of unlawful presence.-For purposes of this paragraph, an alien is deemed to be unlawfully present in the United States if the alien is present in the United States after the expiration of the period of stay authorized by the Attorney General or is present in the United States without being admitted or paroled.

(iii) Exceptions.-

(I) Minors.-No period of time in which an alien is under 18 years of age shall be taken into account in determining the period of unlawful presence in the United States under clause (I).

(II) Asylees.-No period of time in which an alien has a bona fide application for asylum pending under section 208 shall be taken into account in determining the period of unlawful presence in the United States under clause (i) unless the alien during such period was employed without authorization in the United States.

(III) Family unity.-No period of time in which the alien is a beneficiary of family unity protection pursuant to section 301 of the Immigration Act of 1990 14/ shall be taken into account in determining the period of unlawful presence in the United States under clause (I).

your case is very complex, but you have no claim to U.S. citizenship. I feel sympatethic to minors brought here and feel that they should have some kind of an amnesty and I truly believe that you didn't know about your case untill 6 months ago.

Obviously though, now you've become an "overstayer". This is a catch 22: to qualify for chancelation of removal (deportation) you need to be present for 10+ yrs. At the moment you become 18 yrs., you start breaking the law...

As is (and from my understanding of your post), you don't have any basis for an adjustment of status either. You need to look into the options which visas may apply to you (employement, family, investor etc.) and carefully apply for them (most likely you'll be put into a "removal" procedure, even if it's just a regulatory thing.

To qualify for an adjustment of status, you need to be "non-removable" or obtain a waiver for that. Very very complex. You need an attorney to say the least, more likely people in your shoe need a fair law change! Get involved with the people who are in a similar situation like you. Good luck!