50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: interview questions

hi, im still waiting for the interview date with the immigration officer, but as i read the postings, im getting more and more concerned about what the immigration officer will require of me and my wife to prove that we are in a bona fide marriage...can anyone that has gone through the interview shed some light as to what they will be asking? and also is it true that they have interviews where they talk to me and my wife separately? i'm going to be interviewed in the san francisco office, but information and experiences from any office would offer some comfort. thanks

hi, im still waiting for the interview date with the immigration officer, but as i read the postings, im getting more and more concerned about what the immigration officer will require of me and my wife to prove that we are in a bona fide marriage...can anyone that has gone through the interview shed some light as to what they will be asking? and also is it true that they have interviews where they talk to me and my wife separately? i'm going to be interviewed in the san francisco office, but information and experiences from any office would offer some comfort. thanks

Bring lots of evidence to proof that you guys living together, such as:-

1. The last 3 years tax returns (a MUST) and pay slips.
    2. Pictures together with family and relatives and friends (if you have it)
    3. Letters / cards from family, relatives or friends that have both of your names on it
    4. Utilities, phone, rental lease, cable, insurance, bank statements or anything that have BOTH OF YOUR NAMES on it.
    5. If the petitioner changes job, file another I-864 (just to be on the safe side, if the interviewer doesn't ask for it, don't bother to show).
    6. Just bring two ADIT pictures (just in case) sometimes they will ask.
    7. Photocopy all papers that you bring for the interviewer copies to keep in the file, so they won't bother to go to the photocopy machine to copy it for you.
    8. Birth certs for both of you, marriage certs, divorce degree (if any), passports for both of you.

And lastly...RELAX AND CALM. They only separate your interview if they see something not right or a doubt in their mind. But as long as you guys have a real marriage....don't worry. The KEY is to be well prepared. One more thing, dress as you go to work...NO NO to casual or jeans.

Different ppl will go through different experience...so its varies.

Good luck. I'm not a lawyer, pls act accordingly.

Hello,

It really all depends on who you get as an officer to interview you.
    We were really scared into all the questions that would be asked and ours turned out to be a breeze.
    Basically, we were called in 30 minutes late. When we went in she led us over for me to do my fingerprint.
    We then went into her office and she smiled and asked how we were and how our thanksgiving was. And she told us about hers.
    She also asked our lawyer how his was also.
    she then took our paperwork that we already had laid out for her. She asked for our drivers license to verify who we were and our birth certificates.
    She then asked for my EAD card.
    As she took it from me she explained what and how my green card will work. And when she was finished stamped my passport and said "Welcome to the United States of America!"
    It was a total of about 15 minutes from the time she called our names and we walked out of her office.
    She did not even ask where we met or one personal question.
    But.......we were very well prepared. We had a huge briefcase of stuff and also 2 huge al***s of wedding pics and family pics.
    If they see all that you have then they are pretty sure I think.
    Anyway, go prepared and tell the truth. They are so experienced that they will pick up if it is a fraud or not.
    Hope this helps some!
    Good luck to both of you!

Hi ricepickr...

Here is the source you could get to know a lot about ur questions...this gives even all possible questions and answer for visitor visa interview...

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/visitor/sponsordocs.html

Have a good day...Pasha

Ricepickr-

We were interviewed in the SF office in September. Our file was in the marriage fraud unit so we were interviewed separately. That probably won't be the case at your interview. As long as you are really married, you should have no problem with the questions. As stated above, be prepared and bring all of the proof that you can think of. They probably won't ask for it, but it is good to have it.

I thought that the officer asked us questions that were not necessarily easy to prepare for, but things that we should know about each other. Some of the questions she asked me were:

How long have you lived at this address?
    Does your husband own a prayer rug? (we then had a discussion about Muslims and daily prayer)
    Have your parents met you husband?
    Did your parents attend your wedding?
    How do your parents feel about your husband being Muslim?
    Do you have any siblings?
    Do you plan on having any children?
    How much is your mortgage payment?
    How much rent do you charge on your rental property? (we discussed the fact that we rent to my sister and we recently reduced the montly rent?
    Is your husband aware that you have reduced the rent?
    Where did the down payment for the rental property come from?
    How many lamps are in your bedroom?
    Is there a wall switch in your bedroom?
    Did you consider the fact that you husband may have married you to obtain a green card?
    Why did you marry your husband?

Overall, I thought that the officer who interviewed us was very fair. There were some minor discrepancies between our answers, but we were given a chance to explain the differences, some of which were because of the way the officer asked the questions and my husband misinterpreting the question. In our case, our attorney had suggested that we both be fairly verbose in our answers. This is because we know each other so well and she thought that it would be helpful in proving the relationship. That might not always be the best course, but in our case I think it helped. For example, when she asked about children, I told her that we weren't planning on having a baby due to my age and our religious differences. I did go on to say that we have discussed possibly adopting at some future date. When she asked this question of my husband, he gave her a really similar answer.

She didn't look at any of the documentation that we brought with us, with the exception of the Interspousal Grant Deeds that I executed granting my husband a community property interest in the real estate that we own. In response to some of her questions, I would say that we have a document to support that, but she really wasn't interested in looking at them.

Hope that helps.

WB

I'm surprised that they asked how your family felt about it. Would someone's family being against thier marriage have a negative impact on thier interview?
    Have a nice day

They try to take you by surprise. In shammarriages most relatives don't even know about the existence of the marriage.

If they ask about their feelings you might stumble on that question which may prove that it is a shammarriage. If the marriage is real you answer that Q quite easily without acting surprised.

http://www.immigrate2us.net
    I am not a lawyer nor do I claim to be one so please double-check any information given by me, or anyone else for that matter, with a certified (immigration)lawyer before you take any further steps.

The officer that did our interview seemed to hone in on our religious difference. My husband is Muslim and I am a Christian. We spent hours and hours discussing religion before we married. I do think that she concentrated on religion issues because it was a source of suspicion and she thought that she could trip us up on that issue. For example, after she asked about the prayer rug (no my husband doesn't own one) she went on to ask something about if my husband prayed 3 times a day, at which time I corrected her that it is 5 times a day (and no, he doesn't). I think the fact that I demonstarted a clear understanding of his religion help to convince her that our marriage was valid.

A.D.I.T. stands for Alien Documentation, Identification and Telecommunication System (US Immigration).

In simple terms, it passport-sized picture with the head slightly turned and both ears still showing! This is the style of photo that the INS uses to identify immigrants within their records.

Good luck!

Some1mex