free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Annulment of marriage with American woman

I am Italian and I married in Florida an American woman in September 2001. The marriage was a catastrophe, I left her house after living 3 months with her. I do not want to continue to live in the US, I am fed up of everything here, it is such a barbaric country compared to Italy.

I live in Georgia now and here it seems that the annulment of the marriage CAN be a relatively easy procedure (the forms for annulment are publicly available on the Superior Court of Fulton County for example).

I want the annulment because I want to marry again, without doubt an Italian woman in an Italian catholic church and the church will not do it if I am just "divorced".

Does anybody have a clue as for the financial aspects?

She convinced me to leave my home and a well paid job telling me that in this country there is SOOOOO MUCH WORK, when I arrived there I did not find any, I was asked if before I had ever worked in the US at interviews, I had to work like a slave for $7/hr. at KMart and UPS, paid all rents, all bills, her dog's apartment fee, just everything out of my "income", some of her bills too, paid very expensive trips through Italy for her when we were fiancees, all immigration paperwork, flights ... I cannot even think about everything anymore ... I have been provoked repeatedly by her because of my immigration status, not only verbally but also physically mistreated, I had to swallow the worst offenses ... now I am risking to be deported anytime if she files the divorce before I do and to end up unemployed even longer months in Europe because there is a recession there too ... can I ask the Court to make her pay her share of all expenses? can I make her pay to get me back home? how do I do it?

I am Italian and I married in Florida an American woman in September 2001. The marriage was a catastrophe, I left her house after living 3 months with her. I do not want to continue to live in the US, I am fed up of everything here, it is such a barbaric country compared to Italy.

I live in Georgia now and here it seems that the annulment of the marriage CAN be a relatively easy procedure (the forms for annulment are publicly available on the Superior Court of Fulton County for example).

I want the annulment because I want to marry again, without doubt an Italian woman in an Italian catholic church and the church will not do it if I am just "divorced".

Does anybody have a clue as for the financial aspects?

She convinced me to leave my home and a well paid job telling me that in this country there is SOOOOO MUCH WORK, when I arrived there I did not find any, I was asked if before I had ever worked in the US at interviews, I had to work like a slave for $7/hr. at KMart and UPS, paid all rents, all bills, her dog's apartment fee, just everything out of my "income", some of her bills too, paid very expensive trips through Italy for her when we were fiancees, all immigration paperwork, flights ... I cannot even think about everything anymore ... I have been provoked repeatedly by her because of my immigration status, not only verbally but also physically mistreated, I had to swallow the worst offenses ... now I am risking to be deported anytime if she files the divorce before I do and to end up unemployed even longer months in Europe because there is a recession there too ... can I ask the Court to make her pay her share of all expenses? can I make her pay to get me back home? how do I do it?

what do you mean by the financial aspects??? Do you mean as far as how much it will cost to get an anullment or something financial as to you remaining here in the US after you annul the marriage to your US wife.

If you are interested in the cost of the anullment, it all depends on how much your ex fights it. While I do not know the law in Georgia.......in order to annul a marriage, you normally need some kind of fraud, bigamy, or incapacity on her part to have entered into the marriage in the first place. The fact that the marriage is 2 years old does not help you.

It seems that you are desiring to have the court order her to pay certain expenses for you. Each state's laws are different. You really need to talk with a competant family law attorney. If you can not afford one...find a local legal aid office and fill out the paper work.

By the way and just a hint....You might not want to tell the judge what a barbaric country this is. Some of us do try to treat others with respect and dignity.

Louzeta... Where do I start. wow..How old are you . It doesnt sound like you ever embraced the idea of marriage. YOu want the courts to make her reimburse you for her part of expenses?? Well in anyway was there any paperwork filed for you to get greencard/ interview scheduled etc. Well I suppose it doesnt matter becuase you say u r going back to italy anyway.

1. It doesnt sound like you have a prayer for annulment unless u make something up like fraud so just forget it. Get a no-fault divorce.

2. You are mixing apples with oranges....In general . at least here, The catholic church is the one who actually does the annulment. You can get divorced by law. The church will review the information about the marriage that u submit to them and they will decide if the marriage is eligible for annulment. Then you can remarry another catholic in the church. Now unless things changed or are different in Italy. thats what it is.

3. It really doesnt matter who files the divorce here now b/c u say u r not interested in green card or the marriage. Either way you will go out of status and be asked to leave the U.S.

Obviously you must have secured conditional greencard by now or at least have a date set for the interview. and it does seem that you are concerned about being deported. Upside of deportation is that it would send you back home at no cost. The power of positive thinking

Michael
    Yea Italy is so civilized. Let's recall how Rome mercilessly ruled the world. Let's recall that Rome executed Jesus Christ on a cross. Let's recall how Italy helped the Nazis murder millions of people and when the war changed, they switched sides and butchered their own people. Let's remember how they helped Al Quaeda in Somalia shoot down our Black Hawks. Let's remember how they refuse to fight terrorism today. Italians are nothing but cowards and a stain on civilization. LONG LIVE AMERICA !!!!

Michael you do not need to start offending people. Seems like this is your job and hobby.

Michael - take a pill.

Louseta: Annulment, in this country, is a legal process and not available in most cases. I had my marriage annuled because my spouse was married at the time of our marriage so "our" marriage was not legal - that's one reason for annulment. If you want out of this marriage you will, in all probability, need to divorce. Now if your spouse "sponsored" you to come to the US they are financially responsible for you as I understand it so it would seem they would be responsible for the cost of sending you back to Italy (although I'm certainly not sure of this). You are probably not going to get reimbursed for expenses during the course of your marriage - that's what married couples do. You might want to speak with an attorney - a lot of them will speak to you free the first time. It sounds like you would benefit from legal advice. Good luck

Thanks to you all for your advice, especially to Michael for delivering the empirical proof that the judgement of my experiences in this country are real and not just personal impressions, contrarily to his ones, which apparently are formed on nothing else but hearsay from the media and his half-forgotten ignorance of history ...

Louzeta-

I am sorry that I have nothing to offer you on your situation, but I do have a question for you since you are from Italy. Did you deal with the Embassy at Naples? How quickly did they handle your case? The reason I ask is that my husband is from Italy, and we are working on getting a K-3 Visa for him. Any information that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Julie

Billiedance:

How did you find out about your spouses marriage?
    Sweet Madame Belu