free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: INS & Personal Information

Hello!

I've been reading a lot of messages in this forum about INS and one's personal information regarding employment history, marriage and so many other matters. What intrigues me is: How does INS find out, for instance, that someone on a visitor visa got married during his/her stay in the U.S., or that a visitor or student worked for this or that company for 5 or 8 months or whatever without authorization? Can we have an idea about how much of our personal info is out there in a database?
    Thanks!

Hello!

I've been reading a lot of messages in this forum about INS and one's personal information regarding employment history, marriage and so many other matters. What intrigues me is: How does INS find out, for instance, that someone on a visitor visa got married during his/her stay in the U.S., or that a visitor or student worked for this or that company for 5 or 8 months or whatever without authorization? Can we have an idea about how much of our personal info is out there in a database?
    Thanks!

Except when someone is involved in drugs, crime, etc, I think the majority of the information they have is from ourselves.

I was told that sometimes, depending the situation, INS uses alien's SSN and check his/her records on at IRS, but this practice is not very common. Yet it's almost impossible to find out if the alien worked, for instance, the exact amount of hours/week allotted to his EAD. Regarding marriage, the only way, I think, is stating or presenting any document directly to an immigration officer, otherwise there's no way for them to find out.

Does anyone know whether or not running fingerprints is a matter of common practice?

When you get married you have to file paperwork with the state. The person who performs the ceremony will sign a marriage cerificate right after the ceremony. The couple will receive one copy, and one copy is sent to the state. I am sure this data is put into a database, and I am also sure that INS can check it if they want to.

you guys must be referring to the practices in your home country, but it's not difficult at all to track someone's activity. Significant things such as marriage (which is public information to anybody, let alone INS), Debit/Credit card use, Bank accounts, employement (!!), even internet use are all an open book, heck, with as minimal information such as name, date of birth, or location, anybody can find out a ton of information about you, not to mention what a subagency of the Department of Justice can!

The INS uses the CIA to investigate 'foreign activity' and the FBI/IRS/Other Law Enforcement/Etc.. to investigate 'domestic activity'. The INS CAN get whatever information they want about you but that is the exception not the rule. If your case is singled out for further investigation, they have the ability to find out all kinds of information. And if you are caught in a lie - look out! So the rule of thumb is: Only provide specific information as requested and when you do, make sure it is truthful!