publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Marie, Could i ask a question plse?

You seem to understand the INS and all its processes.. could you help me plse

I arrived in June 2000 with a 6 month visa
    applied for extension September 2000
    married a US citizen in March 2001
    applied for residency in April 2001
    had Adjustment of Status interview February 2002
    - they needed additional materials from us, which we sent asap (these were not listed on the letter with instructions on what to bring)

I have heard nothing, i have called twice, given every iota of information they asked for.. and the operators said that they would contact me in writing. That was in May and June.

I am tempted to just turn up to the San Francisco office and wait in line and ask if they can help me?

What would you suggest.

Are there any phone numbers i can call to actually get a response that may help me?

Hope you can help me and Thank You in advance.

You seem to understand the INS and all its processes.. could you help me plse

I arrived in June 2000 with a 6 month visa
    applied for extension September 2000
    married a US citizen in March 2001
    applied for residency in April 2001
    had Adjustment of Status interview February 2002
    - they needed additional materials from us, which we sent asap (these were not listed on the letter with instructions on what to bring)

I have heard nothing, i have called twice, given every iota of information they asked for.. and the operators said that they would contact me in writing. That was in May and June.

I am tempted to just turn up to the San Francisco office and wait in line and ask if they can help me?

What would you suggest.

Are there any phone numbers i can call to actually get a response that may help me?

Hope you can help me and Thank You in advance.

All I know is that when they require more documents, it takes a while. Just be patient.

How long is all i am asking, when further documentation is required do you in fact go to the bottom of the list and have to re-surface again to be re-activated?

I suppose i just want to know approximately when i may be able to go home for a visit. Havent seen my family for over 2 years.

Well the "normal" processing time is thrown out of wack when they need more documents. I don't think there is a set time.

As far as leaving the country, you can apply for a travel document or advance parole. If you haven't overstayed your visa by more than 180 days, you shouldn't have any problems.

I travelled on it with no trouble from the INS.

Cynthia:

You mentioned that INS asked for additional information other than the one listed. I'm going to my interview soon and I'm wondering if you could tell me what additional information they want. Or was it just something specific for your case?

Katie

There were 3 things -

My husbands divorce decree (second time around for both of us, and this was not mentioned before)

2001 Tax return (we didnt even have the forms back from our employers)

A background check (from NZ Police) which could not be obtained without my signature, and they waited till my interview to request this. Apparently NZ is the ONLY country that needs authorization from the party involved to do this, all other countries do it automatically.

Usually when the INS asks for more documents it's specific to a case.

They tell you in the letter what you need to bring to the interview.

Cynthia, they tell you in the application of the I485 that you need to include divorce decrees. As far as tax returns, the employers have to send them by jan31st. If your interview was in early feb, it would have been a little close to get it but they do need it.