50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Info about False Claim to Citizenship

I have a question. If someone makes a false claim to citizenship, but immediately retracts the statement to an INS official, doesn't that eliminate the problem? Did that right change in the 1996 law or am I just grasping at straws here.

I have a question. If someone makes a false claim to citizenship, but immediately retracts the statement to an INS official, doesn't that eliminate the problem? Did that right change in the 1996 law or am I just grasping at straws here.

take a look here

http://foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam/0940063N.pdf

that is the most in depth document I have found on this subject

you need adobe acrobat reader to read this. you can download it for free.

I appreciate the form, but I read it before I posted the message. I am afraid that I am just going to have to live the rest of my life outside my own country. I don't understand how my own country can do this to people. I am at a loss for words.

Thats why I am just telling what you have to do before.... did you ask for their crimminals records to see what they said... because, if you start since then you will ask for what you have to do, it is important what they writte in their file, my daughters do the same but later on I ask for their records and we found something to help hers in their cases, please as a mom with my daughters out of the country I am in the same case as you.

Part of the issue here is the so called "retraction"...logically, if your husband had succeeded with his false claims to US citizenship and was admitted to the US, what was he going to do next? Was he going to return to the INS inspector and say "Gosh, I made a mistake - I lied about my citizenship and don't feel right about being admitted to the US" or was he going to make a beeline for your house and never look back? (I am guessing the latter). So his "recanting" statement was likely meaningless.
    Our country is not "doing this" to just anyone; the penalty was designed for a reason - border security and the penalty legislated to discourage scam artists. If an alien could "take a free shot" with his/her phoney claim and then quickly "recant" and expect to then be admitted to the US (either right then or in the near future), well, I could hardly imagine the number of people who would try this stunt each and everyday. This violation of immigration law is amongst the most serious and therefore should be enforced in the strictest manner. Your country is not doing this to you; your husband did it to himself. The United States of America did not force your husband to lie; he made that decision himself, as an adult and knew that his statement(s) was wrong. Just because someone might not have known the penalty for a particular transgression does not absolve that person when he/she violates a law. Anyone with 1 ounce of common sense would likely understand that lying about one's citizenship is a)wrong and b) subject to penalty -- more so if this attempt was tried after Sept 11th.

See, also, lying about nationality when crossing border. It's not that Americans never lie, but they are citizens and immigrants forget that they are not.