free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shocked to find my brother is not a citizen

My younger brother is 47. He was born while my parents (American) lived in Canada, and the whole family moved back to the states when he was 9. We've been here ever since. He's got a social security card and has been a schoolteacher for many years. Now he finds that my parents apparently did not file a form at the consulate in Calgary or when we moved in 1966. The INS says he's not an American citizen. He's married with two grown sons, and they say his wife can sponsor him for a green card. This is insane. They are threatening to deport him, and charge him with being an illegal ailien, which would prohibit him from ever teaching agsin. What can he do? Why can't my mother register him now (my father died in 1973?)

My younger brother is 47. He was born while my parents (American) lived in Canada, and the whole family moved back to the states when he was 9. We've been here ever since. He's got a social security card and has been a schoolteacher for many years. Now he finds that my parents apparently did not file a form at the consulate in Calgary or when we moved in 1966. The INS says he's not an American citizen. He's married with two grown sons, and they say his wife can sponsor him for a green card. This is insane. They are threatening to deport him, and charge him with being an illegal ailien, which would prohibit him from ever teaching agsin. What can he do? Why can't my mother register him now (my father died in 1973?)

DOESN'T HE HAVE A BIRTHCERTIFICATE ?????????/

If your parents were citizen at the time of his birth and you mother can prove that then there should be some hope for him to get citizenship here. He never knew about this fact so he did not opt about Citizenship, it was an innocent mistake. Your mother and brother should seek help from local Congressmen and Senators in this matter.
    I pray everything will come out good for him.
    Good luck.

when one is born in the States they automatically got their birthcertificate stating where he was born and when...how come yr brother did not get one ????

As far as I'm concerned, when a US citizen give birth to a baby abraod, they have to register the baby at the Embassy and they will get a paper stated 'Birth Abroad' and this is the proved that he / she is the US citizen. May be the parents forgot to do that.

Hi Marshall, if both your parents were U.S. citizens when your brother was born AND at least one of your parents lived in the United States at some point in their life, then he is USC. His record of birth in Canada, if registered with a U.S. consulate or embassy, is proof of his citizenship. On the other hand, if his birth wasn't registered with the consulate, then he should file Form N-600, "Application for Certificate of Citizenship."

If your brother have birth certificate try to get a passport,if he does'nt have BC,You need to ask your mother to file a birth affidavit you can find the form in BCIS website and submit evidence of US citenship of your parents,physical presence in United States of US citizen parents .

Thanks for the replies, and the cites to forms. Fortunately, our mother is still alive and can fill out a birth affidavit.The problem seems to be that my parents failed to file the proper notice at the consulate when he was born, and he's never needed to get a passport, so the problem never came up before the increased scrutiny folks get these days. The Canadians accept him as a dual citizen, and he's been there several times over the years.

marshall

something is incorrect in yr post...something I do not understand...
    that is the law is the USA :
    eVERY SINGLE BABY BORN IN THE USA ANYTIME DOES NOT LEAVE THE HOSPITAL WITHOUT A BIRTH CERTIFICATE !!!! IT HAS NOTHING TO DO IF HE NEEDS A PASSEPORT OR NO !!!