Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: German Student need some help

Hello,

I hope somebody can help me on this one. I'm a german student studying in the US. I would like to work on campus but they told me I would have to apply for financial aid and the one question would be if I'm a U.S. Citizen or eligible resident with an Alien Registration card. My question is what is the alien registration card and is there a way to apply for such a card??
    I would appreciate your help
    Thanks

Locke

Hello,

I hope somebody can help me on this one. I'm a german student studying in the US. I would like to work on campus but they told me I would have to apply for financial aid and the one question would be if I'm a U.S. Citizen or eligible resident with an Alien Registration card. My question is what is the alien registration card and is there a way to apply for such a card??
    I would appreciate your help
    Thanks

Locke

It's been long time since I left college and if some one knows otherwise please correct me. As far as I remember, if you are a full time student on F-1 visa, you can work 20 hours on campus. YOu don't have to be a citizen or Permanent Resident (Alien Registration Card).

I suggest that you speak to some one who knows, perhaps the International Student Advisor at your shcool. In regards to getting a Green Card, It will take long long time even if you qualify some how so It's not going to address your immediate need of getting work on campus now.

Good Luck

Isn't there a "1-year" rule for F-1 employment?

I remeber that you have to complete at least one year of studies before you could be eligible for employment. I just do not remember if this rule applies to an on-campus or off-campus job.

Can anybody clarify this?

Thanks.

If you're here on a student visa, as far as I remember you're ineligable for federal financial aid.

The alien registration card is for permanent residency in the U.S. To apply for that, you need to have a basis (a sponsor) to adjust your status (from that of student to that of permanent resident).

I believe one of the pre-requisites to obtain U.S. foreign student status is that you show that you have sufficient funds and not dependant on work here. As a previous poster stated, for the sake of practice and learning experience, you may work 20 hrs. on champus when available!

Good luck!

Go to this link - it gives you all the Ja und Nein of wokring while on F1 -

http://www.visalaw.com/00feb4/9feb400.html

hallo Locke
    ich würde nicht arbeiten wenn's nicht erlaubt ist. Die Gesetzte sind sehr streng und wenn du fälschlicherweise behauptest das du U.S. Staatsbürger bist oder Perma Resident kannst du sofort ausgewiesen werden!

Klaudi:
    If you have someting valuable to contribute to this forum, can you please write it in english so that others can also learn and take advantage of your advise.

Regards.

Some of the available on campus job is paid by sponsoring agency/department and considered to be part of Financial Aid, which in turn only offered to USC/GC holder. The job that you're applying too probably fall to this category, and thats why you have to fill the application and state your status
    (IIRC, alien registration card = GC)
    As for a F1 student, you can work up to 20hrs/week in campus just like the previous post mentioned. Once you graduate, you can apply for Optional Practical Training which allow you to work for up to 1 year after graduation.

All he said was he wouldn't work if it isn't allowed. The laws are very strict, and if you falsely claim US citizenship or permanent resident status, you can be arrested/deported immediately. Loose translation, but good advice.
    Klaudi, I was in Germany for eight wonderful years - it's good to read it again!