50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: generic letter to representatives!!!

I have been thinking about the necessity for a generic letter to send our representatives. A letter of this type would make it easier for numerous people to support the bill. We can send this letter out both via email and via regular mail to people that might support our cause.

We could enclose information for a website such as ACLU that provides information on who one's representatives are.

If everyone became involved, I think it would provide the most access to the most people and to the most representatives.

That does not mean that we shouldn't send in our own stories, but let's try to get some mass mailings going on as well.

Here is a proposed copy of a possible letter. Please let me know what you think.

Later, I will post a final copy on this website so that you can copy and post it into an email to all of your family, friends, co-workers and others that you think might support it.

Thanks for any feedback.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am sending you this letter to show my support for the restoration of fairness to the immigration laws. In particular I would like to see changes to the 1996 laws.

Unfortunately, these laws have created drastic problems for numerous families due to overly harsh penalties with little discretion to the nature of the offense. Although these laws provided provisions for waivers for family members of US citizens, such as the I-601, these waivers are extraordinarily difficult to obtain, as well as costly due to expenses for attorneys. The result is that American citizens must live without their spouses and parents or must for all practical purposes be exiled from their own country, the USA.

Changes must be made in order to aid family unity and ensure justice proportional to the crime committed.

Some examples of legislation that have requested the restoration of fairness to the immigration laws are as follows:

S. 955
    Immigrant Fairness Restoration Act of 2001: Introduced by Senators Edward Kennedy (D-MA) and Bob Graham (D-FL), S. 955 would provide comprehensive reform of the 1996 immigration laws, including: eliminating mandatory and indefinite detention; eliminating the bars to admissibility for unlawful presence; restoring waivers of certain grounds of inadmissibility established by the 1996 laws; and restoring due process, proportionality, judicial discretion, and judicial review to immigration law.

H.R. 3894
    Restoration of Fairness in Immigration Act of 2002: Introduced by Representative John Conyers (R-MI), H.R. 3894 would restore due process by repealing the retroactivity of IIRAIRA, restore judicial review and discretion, eliminate mandatory detention, and otherwise restore fairness and proportionality.

I would like to ask you to support these bills and any similar ones that are introduced.

Please help us to reunite families.

Thank you.

I have been thinking about the necessity for a generic letter to send our representatives. A letter of this type would make it easier for numerous people to support the bill. We can send this letter out both via email and via regular mail to people that might support our cause.

We could enclose information for a website such as ACLU that provides information on who one's representatives are.

If everyone became involved, I think it would provide the most access to the most people and to the most representatives.

That does not mean that we shouldn't send in our own stories, but let's try to get some mass mailings going on as well.

Here is a proposed copy of a possible letter. Please let me know what you think.

Later, I will post a final copy on this website so that you can copy and post it into an email to all of your family, friends, co-workers and others that you think might support it.

Thanks for any feedback.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am sending you this letter to show my support for the restoration of fairness to the immigration laws. In particular I would like to see changes to the 1996 laws.

Unfortunately, these laws have created drastic problems for numerous families due to overly harsh penalties with little discretion to the nature of the offense. Although these laws provided provisions for waivers for family members of US citizens, such as the I-601, these waivers are extraordinarily difficult to obtain, as well as costly due to expenses for attorneys. The result is that American citizens must live without their spouses and parents or must for all practical purposes be exiled from their own country, the USA.

Changes must be made in order to aid family unity and ensure justice proportional to the crime committed.

Some examples of legislation that have requested the restoration of fairness to the immigration laws are as follows:

S. 955
    Immigrant Fairness Restoration Act of 2001: Introduced by Senators Edward Kennedy (D-MA) and Bob Graham (D-FL), S. 955 would provide comprehensive reform of the 1996 immigration laws, including: eliminating mandatory and indefinite detention; eliminating the bars to admissibility for unlawful presence; restoring waivers of certain grounds of inadmissibility established by the 1996 laws; and restoring due process, proportionality, judicial discretion, and judicial review to immigration law.

H.R. 3894
    Restoration of Fairness in Immigration Act of 2002: Introduced by Representative John Conyers (R-MI), H.R. 3894 would restore due process by repealing the retroactivity of IIRAIRA, restore judicial review and discretion, eliminate mandatory detention, and otherwise restore fairness and proportionality.

I would like to ask you to support these bills and any similar ones that are introduced.

Please help us to reunite families.

Thank you.

Spouse,

Thank you for writing the letter! It looks good!

What we really need is a web site to go to which explains these laws and their penalties in detail, and then lets them find their reps, fill in their name and address, and click it right to them.

They have something very similar at the ACLU website, with a link in which you can email up to ten of your friends, who can in turn also show their support for these bills.

I just signed a petition yesterday (see - No War, No Way) post of yesterday, that many thousands of people were able to sign. I would love to get something like that going as well. Unfortunately, I don't have the capabilities to create such forms. I can make a website where we can post our stories, and also list our reps in the White House, but we need Leader or someone else to make interactive forms. I also spent a good part of yesterday writing to all of my reps in Wisconsin, and giving them as much heartbreaking detail as I could in one page. We need people to really *feel* what we are going through here! I encourage everyone to do the same!

This is a big help for people who come here and read these posts, but we need a way to reach many, many more people.

I hope that people will also write to their local media sources, too, as they seem to control everything that goes on in this country. Bush, unfortunately, is doing a very good job of contriving wars and taking attention away from our problems at home. The war is also going to incite more terrorists to act, which will in turn create even more anti-immigrant sentiment, and possibly even create even harsher laws.

Thanks again for your efforts,
    juju

Juju,

Hi. I also signed the no iraq attack petition that you mentioned. Unforunately, congress is still passing bills that make the attack possible.

Therefore, I tend to think that we will need more than just a petition to draw their attention. Frankly, the best thing I can think of is paper... i.e. lots and lots of letters (physical and email.)

A website would be an amazing thing, and something that we really need, unfortunately when it comes to websites I am pretty darn stupid, so I can't help to create one.

I was thinking though, that while we are waiting to get the website up, that we could start emailing and sending letters.

Without a doubt more personal letters are really needed, but we don't want to limit the people sending letters to those who have stories to tell. I think that I could get many of the professors and graduate students in my department to sign a letter, as well as all of my family and (US) friends. If each of these people passed the message on to 5 more people... and if everyone on this website did the same.... I think we could really reach a huge number of people.

I would love to attach a web address to the email so that people could go in and really see what other stories are out there etc, and increase their awareness and support for the topic.

So, please keep me up to date on the website and I'll try to get a letter/email in order that can at least start the process.

Thanks for your support and for all of your great ideas!

JUJU and spouse I am so impressed by all your actions and efforts...
    some people when they have problems they just go out there and fight and fight ..some others like
    myself just get paralysed and wait and wait...
    it's really encouraging to read about you...
    good luck

Spouse,
    What a wonderful idea!!! I shall start a petition in my school, and try to circulate it throughout the entire district! Wow! It hadn't even occurred to me!!! I will definitely get a letter drafted this week. NOW I am really seeing some hope!

As for the web page... I can do it. It's just going to take some time. I may not be able to make something where people just fill out a form and send it, but we can put the letter there, with a place for them to email it to their reps, or print it out and mail it. I will post a letter that i emailed to my senators. It wasn't really planned out, so I hope it's OK. I just did it when I was in the mood.

Would anyone be willing to email me photos to include with their stories? I will put up ours, because we are not in hiding. I realize that a lot of people will not be able to do this, however, and that's OK, too. Anything you can contribute!

Sarah, it is you and others who encourage me to keep going. There are many people with harder stories than mine, yet I receive so much sympathy and support. It's wonderful!

This is something that we must do together. I see a big change in this forum just from people having the courage to speak out. It can be a very scary thing. And there are many who cannot speak for themselves, for fear of being found and deported.

Anyway, I wish I were doing a lot more. The demands of my job and family are consuming most of my time, and I am finding very little time for this. I want to be able to hold demonstrations and talk to the media and start petitions and write more letters and make web pages. This could be a full-time job! For that reason alone, any little bit that anyone can do would be a big help. And as I've stated before, the best thing to do is just talk to the public. Most people are completely ignorant of the situation - as I was. And many people simply can't see the humanity behind the situation because they don't see what is happening to our families.

This is a grass-roots effort - and grass roots efforts take a lot of people, a lot of time, a lot of patience, and a lot of hard work. Thank you all for continuing to encourage me to go on, and for all of the effort you put into this. We must all support each other and contribute whatever we can to this cause, or nothing shall be done.

Have a wonderful week everyone, and keep the faith. I think this is something we can really do!

Keep the faith!
    juju

PLEASE everyone go visit ACLU's web site. They have a wonderful letter and fax writing service (FREE!), and letter-writing advice. It rocks.

Thanks spouse we have the one to start the process. I will start to work with this letter

Thank you all for your support!!! If you have any ideas for modifications or improvements to the letter please let me know.

I will post my final version when I return from visitng my husband (*smile*) at the end of October.

But if you like this idea, please start sending letters as soon as you can, both by email and regular mail.

Thanks again.

Sounds like a good idea. I will try to send your letter to friends as well. Have you thought of including a few brief sentences regarding stories of people that are effected? It might help to encourage other to sign it, and I am sure that people from this forum would be willing to contribute some of their stories (even if they aren't in a detailed form).

good idea! Does anyone have suggestions for a couple sentences about their lives that I could include in a preface to the letter? Something that would encourage people to sign and send the letter?