Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Receipt Problems

Hello,
    does anyone happen to know the answer to my question:

Green Card forms were filed in September (I-140 & 485) but no receipt with case number has been received by me or lawyer yet. Isn't INS-Vermont supposed to have cashed the checks ALREADY? Or to have issued the EAD/travel documents, or to have refused the application altogether? My lawyer maintains that INS is quite backed-up so it's normal for the checks not to have gone through the bank yet!

What do you guys think?

Hello,
    does anyone happen to know the answer to my question:

Green Card forms were filed in September (I-140 & 485) but no receipt with case number has been received by me or lawyer yet. Isn't INS-Vermont supposed to have cashed the checks ALREADY? Or to have issued the EAD/travel documents, or to have refused the application altogether? My lawyer maintains that INS is quite backed-up so it's normal for the checks not to have gone through the bank yet!

What do you guys think?

Did you send the forms via certified mail? It's good to do that in the future, then you'll know if and when they received it.
    Keep checking your bank for a cashed check. Sometimes it takes time to process initially, open the envelope, assign a case number and send you a receipt, so be patient.
    Also, your lawyer could get a response from INS, not you.
    As far as travel document, I-131, if you applied for an Advanced Parole, your local INS center should have it ready within a month (check uscis.gov for processing times). Go to your local INS center and pick it up yourself, don't need a lawyer.
    Don't depend on your lawyer to tell you everything. My lawyer didn't tell me much about anything other than how strict and suspicious INS is.
    It really pays to research stuff on your own. INS website is good, you can even call them toll free.
    Good Luck!

Thanks, anna!

The lawyer sent the documents by courrier but never gave me a tracking number. He's been telling me to just wait. Thanks for the Advanced Parole tip - but could I pick it up without even a case number?!

My worry has been that I may end up bothering my lawyer if I request too much info from him, yet I don't want to fall through the cracks in these uncertain times!

Regards
    Dunav

If you're paying the lawyer, you don't have to worry about bothering him/her.... it's the lawyer's job to assist you and answer your questions, no matter how many of them you have. I get irritated by lawyers with poor customer service (I worked with one who was really bad about that). Just keep calling, ask for the tracking number of the package. As to the advance parole, not all USCIS offices allow you to go in person. You need to call the 1-800 number and find out if your local USCIS office will allow you to do it. However, you will at least need a piece of ID (such as passport or driver's license), the I-485 receipt notice and the I-131 receipt notice and possibly two photographs in USCIS format. Make sure you check to see what other documents may be required. Again, ensure your local USCIS allows for in-person APs.