free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to stay in the USA

I have been visiting the USA on and off for the passed 10 years and would like to make this my home. I am financially independant, do not need a job, I just want to spend my money here and have a good life. I am willing to persue any avenue that will allow me to stay here legally and permanently. I have entered the green card lottery several times without success, I have no relatives here and do not qualify for any of the options presently available. I am not in a position to invest in a business nor do I have any special skills. I would like to retire here and call this my home. I am a German citizen.

Any reply and help would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you
    Peter

I have been visiting the USA on and off for the passed 10 years and would like to make this my home. I am financially independant, do not need a job, I just want to spend my money here and have a good life. I am willing to persue any avenue that will allow me to stay here legally and permanently. I have entered the green card lottery several times without success, I have no relatives here and do not qualify for any of the options presently available. I am not in a position to invest in a business nor do I have any special skills. I would like to retire here and call this my home. I am a German citizen.

Any reply and help would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you
    Peter

Are you married? If not, find someone to fall in love with and get married(US Citizen). Thats a way .

Here is an advice: don't even start! My opinion is it is not worth it I was also thinking that what a great country United States was and full of oppurtunities....but as of now being in the immigration process through marriage...I've began thinking that if I hadn't my love of my life here...I wouldn't live here. I would stay in my home country and be happy...I really miss being happy. The truth is, you cannot do anything without being in a proper immigration status...and if you choose live here illegally then you'll never find a peace in your conscience. But the way to the legal immigrant status is LONG and sometimes painful. You want to retire! and probably not to have a nervous breakdown...think about it, do you really want to go through this?

So are you saying you're not happy Mona? I think you might be have a 'homesick'. I understand how its feel, but being around my love one (my husband) make me feel better and forget little bit about my home country. But of course when we're brought up and use to our culture, its a little bit hard to adjust or adapt. Well, I'm still trying since I love my husband so much and make the best of it . Even now I have to make him adapt little bit to my cook, hot and spicy .

Peter,

What has been said here is very true, it's a very long and difficult process to stay in the US, especially on a permanent basis, unless of course you get married....Like Me2 I think that if I had not found my love here I would be back in the UK and be happy, I find myself missing home a lot, not just homesickness but the fact that there I don't have to constantly worry about being in status or doing something that could screw up my immigrant status, my advice is to be happy where you are and if you are going to go for it then be prepared for many years of stress and worry..

Best of Luck

If you are financially independent and want to retire here, then couldn't you somehow just keep extending your tourist visa? If you don't need to work, then there isn't a reason to go through the stress of trying to get a green card. At least it's something to look into. By the way, Germany is a lovely country. Ich war Austauschuelerin in Niedersachsen als ich 17 Jahre alt war. Ich wohnte ein Jahr bei eine deutsche Familie in Emden. Sie wahren sehr nett. Manchmall vermisse ich Deutschland. Ich moechte mein Man Deutschland zeigen, aber wir koennen nicht ins Ausland fahren, weil er kein erlaubness hat. Er kommt aus Mexico. Viel Glueck. Ich druecke dir den Daumen. My German's a bit rusty. Hope you understand.

Unfortunately, there is no immigrant visa available for retirees/independently wealthy. Many foreign nationals have bought vacation/retirement homes in the U.S., but only after the purchase do they discover that they are not entitled to immigrate to the U.S. Most of them stay on tourist visas (B-2), and just make short trips abroad to stay in a legal status. (The Wall Street Journal did an excellent article on this a few years ago.)

Another downside of being a permanent resident is you have to pay U.S. income tax on your worldwide income. It may make more financial sense for you to be a frequent visitor to the US, instead of a permanent resident.

Best of luck with the visa lottery; that's your best shot at a green card.

Isn't it Germany pay better welfare and retirement benefit? as far as i know, to retire here, each elderly gets around US $1500 per month. i think you can join some hobby clubs to develop your interest and make some friends. i think America has a lot of happy elderly than any other places. (they do have a problem in driving)

Hallo Peter,
    bin schon seit 2 Jahren in den USA mit Visum, reise alle 6 Monate fuer ein paar Wochen nach Deutschland und Mexiko, kein Problem. Leider kann man so hier keinen Fuehrerschein und keine Sozialversicherungnummer bekommen, braucht man sogar, um guenstige Abendkurse machen zu koennen bzw.. sein Auto zu versichern. Also ich wuerde in deiner Stelle auch meinen Wohnsitz in Deutschland lassen und mir Freunde in den USA suchen, die dir ihr Haus vermieten oder aehnliches. Viel Glueck.