publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Extension of Stay/Changing Status to a Legal Permanent Resident from Expiring V Visa (V2)

Sir/Madam,

Please help us to appeal in congress about this matter "V-Visa ,About to Expire Before 21st Birthday".But all i know is,although my my V Visa is about to expire before my 21st birthday since i am now 20 years old.I can still avail the new law "Child Status Protection Act"HR 1209,because i still have the approval notice from the INS whis is the form I-130,Priority Dateecember 21,1998.Unmarried Child Under 21 of Permanent Resident (F2A).But i just want to know if,do i need to go back in the Philippines before my 21st birthday?Are there any options for me to do by not going back in my country before my 21st birthday?Do i still legible to file an extension of stay or changing my status to Legal Permanent Resident?

Thanks,
    Edz

Sir/Madam,

Please help us to appeal in congress about this matter "V-Visa ,About to Expire Before 21st Birthday".But all i know is,although my my V Visa is about to expire before my 21st birthday since i am now 20 years old.I can still avail the new law "Child Status Protection Act"HR 1209,because i still have the approval notice from the INS whis is the form I-130,Priority Dateecember 21,1998.Unmarried Child Under 21 of Permanent Resident (F2A).But i just want to know if,do i need to go back in the Philippines before my 21st birthday?Are there any options for me to do by not going back in my country before my 21st birthday?Do i still legible to file an extension of stay or changing my status to Legal Permanent Resident?

Thanks,
    Edz

There is nothing to worry about your current status with V visa.You are in fact allowed to work with the visa you currently have.relax ka lang, kabayan!

here is what V visa is all about,in case of doubt give me your email and i maybe we chat online.

"The U.S. Embassy has announced that there are literally thousands of people eligible for the new "V" visa, and the Embassy is now standing by, ready and prepared to issue these visas to all qualified applicants. If you are eligible for the new "V" visa, I urge you to take advantage of this rare opportunity to apply for the visa so you can immediately go to the US, be able to work, and be united with your loved ones in the US.

What is the "V" visa?
    The "V" visa is a new type of non-immigrant visa, created under the LIFE Act. It is intended to permit long-separated families to reunite in the US while waiting for the priority date on their F-2A petition (spouse or minor child of green card holder) to become current.

Who qualifies for the "V" visa?
    Only the following family members qualify for the "V" visa":
    a. Spouse of immigrant (green card holder)
    b. Unmarried child under 21 of immigrant
    If you are in the above family preference category (F-2A), you could be eligible to apply for the "V" visa if you meet the following additional requirements:
    a. You were petitioned on or before December 21, 2000 (the date the LIFE Act took effect).
    b. You have been under petition for at least 3 years. In other words, your petitioner must have filed your F-2A petition at least three years before you apply for the "V" visa.
    c. The priority date on your F-2A petition must not be "current". If your priority date is current (or visa is available), then you would be processed under normal or regular immigrant visa processing.

1. What are the advantages or benefits of applying for a "V" visa?
    A "V" visa would enable a qualified and eligible beneficiary of an F-2A petition to go to the US immediately. Right now, the wait for an immigrant visa for spouses and minor children of green card holders is about 5 years. If you have been under petition for at least 3 years, you could get the "V" visa right away, so that you could enter the US and wait in the US (with your loved ones) for your priority date to become current. You could then file for adjustment of status (be interviewed for your green card) in the US when your priority date eventually becomes "current". In addition, while you are waiting in the US, you could apply for and be issued work authorization, enabling you to work in the US while waiting for your priority date to become current. Wouldn't you like to get to the US right now and work, instead of waiting several additional years for the priority date to be current on your F-2A petition? The "V" visa can let you do that!"

Im here already in California since july 12th,2002.My problem is,my V visa is about to expire on my 21st birthday na this coming November 12,2002.For Further details please check the,posted "Extension of Stay or Changing the Status to a Legal Permanent Resident.Thanks!

edz_ebreo@yahoo.com

Yahoo Messenger:Username-edzie_21

But remember the I.N.S also said the V. VISA for a child expires on the day that child turns 21 and if that child still remains in the U.S, the child continues to acquire Unlawful presence Status which could affect the child's eligibility for a Green card when an immigrant visa becomes available. I think the v visa rules for kids is one of the unfairest thing in the world, first of all it was supposed to allow them (kids) to unite with their petioning parent and the rule then punishes them as soon as they 21 by asking them to leave, this is total confusion. Once again the child's status protection act could have protected kids like ED who are suffering from the system but unfortunately, the new law made no mention of V-2 visa kids. Its really really sad and what I don't understand is- if spouses of permanent resident do not have any age restriction on their V VISA, why punish kids with the most natural thing in the world (growing older), this is so unfair. A child of a Permanent Resident is still a child and there's no justification for using their Age as an instrument to punish them. Everything is just so confusing nowadays, it's as if noone recognises the NATURAL RELATIONSHIP that occurs between a parent & a child, the only thing that matters now is just to get married inorder to immigrate, its flaws in system like this that encourages Fraud and its about time we start doing something about it.I wonder how Master Ed will be able to survive, if he has to return to his country alone without any of his immediate relative with him, isn't that a high price to pay for just becoming 21 (hello ????????)

My advice to Ed will be to tell your permanent resident parent to contact your congressman so they can know about your situation, there are many other children facing this problem and thats why my heart bleeds so much especially with the knowledge that there is a law out there that was designed to specifically protect kids from aging out of immigration benefits they deserve but many children are still losing benefits as soon as they turn 21. Hopefully, the congress will hear the cry of these innocent ones (Amen).