Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Legal permanent resident (LPR) seeks to bring spouse to USA

**Email Valenkaj@hotmail.com**
    Hi everyone,
    I am writing for advice on my situation. I am a legal permanent resident that has lived in the United States for 25 years. I took a leave of absence from my job in the US to study in London. I want to get married to a Turkish National that I met in London, and for us to live in the United States. I need to return to the US by October, since I have to return to work. I checked the INS website, and it states that because I am not a US citizen, we will have to wait to get a Visa number in order for my husband-to-be to join me in the United States. Since the government is currently working on cases from 1997, I assume it will take at least five years to get the Visa number. Therefore, I decided to become a US citizen, this way he will not need a Visa number, this process will take over a year. Is there another way that we can live in the United States without the process taking years? Thank you in advance for your advice.

**Email Valenkaj@hotmail.com**
    Hi everyone,
    I am writing for advice on my situation. I am a legal permanent resident that has lived in the United States for 25 years. I took a leave of absence from my job in the US to study in London. I want to get married to a Turkish National that I met in London, and for us to live in the United States. I need to return to the US by October, since I have to return to work. I checked the INS website, and it states that because I am not a US citizen, we will have to wait to get a Visa number in order for my husband-to-be to join me in the United States. Since the government is currently working on cases from 1997, I assume it will take at least five years to get the Visa number. Therefore, I decided to become a US citizen, this way he will not need a Visa number, this process will take over a year. Is there another way that we can live in the United States without the process taking years? Thank you in advance for your advice.

You are right that a petition filed by you as an LPR will take 4.5 to 5 years to be what is called "current" (a visa number to be ready).

The only other realistic chance to have your husband come over to stay is if he can obtain an H1b visa (work).

Tourist and student visas will be virtually impossible to get because the embassy has to believe that your spouse would return to his country after a short visa or after completion of studies. Being married to you will make that proof difficult at best.

If you become a US citizen, then there is no numerical limitation on petitions filed by Amcit spouses and he could come to the US after minimal processing overseas (say 4-8 weeks typically, assuming no big problems of anykind).

Not being a citizen means a long wait; even with the "V" visa it will mean a 3 year separation.

Hi Annon, I'm so glad you are here. I noticed you mentioned that the v visa is available for spouses of LPR who have waited 3 years. what about children of LPR who have been waiting for 3 years but only turn 21 before applying for this status, is there any way, they could qualify especially with this new law h.r 1209 which helps I-130 aged outs. ?

Im very curious to this post, I am a USA citizen and I am currently engaged to a Turkish Citizen and we are currently in the process of getting him to the US, We have an appointment in 2 weeks for me to go meet with an Attorney and to be quite honest Im not sure where to even begin on what needs to be done, what questions I need to ask and what things I can do that will minimize our attorney fee's. What time frame should I expect to wait on him being able to come. Im told that a finace' visa is the best visa, but I also wonder is it just as easy to go over to Turkey, marry him and bring him back? Also what is a feasable attorney fee for this process, I would like to know what is average for this so Im not taken advantage of by any attornies.

Kathy, you should post a new topic.

But to answer your question, you do not need a lawyer. As long as you have already met the fiance face to face, just apply for the Fiancee visa.

Look on www.ins.gov and get the paperwork and file. If you run into problems, THEN get a lawyer. The forms are pretty self-explanatory and you can always post on the board if you have any questions.

Goodluck.

For ORIGINAL POSTER:
    Also, the forms ALWAYS go through the NVC before they go to the Consulate/Embassy.

Sorry, Original Poster, I got confused.

Goodluck with your filing of USC. You fiance should probably try and get a visa of their own, preferably a work visa, so that they can come over and be with you as it takes sometime to file and become a USC.