publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Thanks to those who replied to my question about a TN visa but that was not my question. I still need help!

Hi,

Thnka you to the first 2 people who replied to me but that was NOT my question.

I know my rights to obtain a TN visa as a Canadian Citizen. I have done it in the past for a different line of work. My question is in regards to the verbage I found about getting a TN visa for a position as a management consultant on THIS website. I don't understand what the following means about how my contract should be set up with the employer. My questions is what does the following mean:

"A management consultant should generally not be a regular, full-time employee of the entity requiring service. There are, however, instances where full-time employment is a possibility. In these cases, the management consultant should not be assuming an existing position, replacing someone in an existing position, or filling a newly created permanent position. In short, the management consultant should either be an independent consultant or the employee of a consulting firm under contract to a U.S. entity, or the consultant, if salaried, should be in an extra temporary position."

Hi,

Thnka you to the first 2 people who replied to me but that was NOT my question.

I know my rights to obtain a TN visa as a Canadian Citizen. I have done it in the past for a different line of work. My question is in regards to the verbage I found about getting a TN visa for a position as a management consultant on THIS website. I don't understand what the following means about how my contract should be set up with the employer. My questions is what does the following mean:

"A management consultant should generally not be a regular, full-time employee of the entity requiring service. There are, however, instances where full-time employment is a possibility. In these cases, the management consultant should not be assuming an existing position, replacing someone in an existing position, or filling a newly created permanent position. In short, the management consultant should either be an independent consultant or the employee of a consulting firm under contract to a U.S. entity, or the consultant, if salaried, should be in an extra temporary position."

It means that the TN is not valid if the job you are taking is a permanent position. The employment letter must specifically state that it is a temporary position. The other stuff just means that they can allude to the fact the the position could be extended.

You can then get an extension letter a year later, go to the border and get a new visa. This can go on over and over again but you need to get a new visa every year. However, the job must not technically be permanent in nature. It all comes down to the wording of the employment letter.

The website www.grasmick.com has excellent info on the TN visa. By the way, the Mgm't Consultant is a tricky TN visa to get - so good luck...