free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: OVERSTAYED ONE DAY IN 1980

Hi:
    Way back in my post college days, in 1980, I took a car trip from Canada to Costa Rica (You can afford to do that when young and poor (-: )
    I drove an old car, sure it broke a couple of times. One of them in the US.
    They gave me a 7 days stay in the USA when I entered from Canada, and because of my good old car, I stayed 8 days. (Why they gave me only 7 days, no idea!! By the way I and my car looked, I guess I was lucky even to have been allowed to enter (-: )
    I have travelled to the US many times after that, never had a problem, but can that 1 day overstay in 1980 give me problems in the future? From what I understand the new law applies only to post 1997 overstays, Am I right?

Hi:
    Way back in my post college days, in 1980, I took a car trip from Canada to Costa Rica (You can afford to do that when young and poor (-: )
    I drove an old car, sure it broke a couple of times. One of them in the US.
    They gave me a 7 days stay in the USA when I entered from Canada, and because of my good old car, I stayed 8 days. (Why they gave me only 7 days, no idea!! By the way I and my car looked, I guess I was lucky even to have been allowed to enter (-: )
    I have travelled to the US many times after that, never had a problem, but can that 1 day overstay in 1980 give me problems in the future? From what I understand the new law applies only to post 1997 overstays, Am I right?

No problem.
    1996 law talks only about overstays after April 1997.
    Before that, no problem.

Think again my friend. With the advent of computers, a single button can show your history. My brother back in 1985 overstayed in the US. He applied recently for a B1/B2. He was denied becuse of that overstay.

I really doubt 1 day will do anything major.

staying over 179 days out of status would enact a 3-year ban

a 1 day stay over does not appear to be punishable by a ban.

One day of overstay don't mean a thing.

B) 13/ ALIENS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT.-

(i) In general.-Any alien (other than an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence) who-

(I) was unlawfully present in the United States for a period of more than 180 days but less than 1 year, voluntarily departed the United States (whether or not pursuant to section 244(e)) prior to the commencement of proceedings under section 235(b)(1) or section 240, and again seeks admission within 3 years of the date of such alien's departure or removal, or

(II) has been unlawfully present in the United States for one year or more, and who again seeks admission within 10 years of the date of such alien's departure or removal from the United States,is inadmissible.

(ii) Construction of unlawful presence.-For purposes of this paragraph, an alien is deemed to be unlawfully present in the United States if the alien is present in the United States after the expiration of the period of stay authorized by the Attorney General or is present in the United States without being admitted or paroled.

I think 1 day overstay in 1980 certainly qualifies you as a potential permanent overstayer.
    Forget about it

Yep. Actually waht they'll do is they'll immediately arrest you and put you in detention . You could barred for life, and possible jail time. You really should seeka good lawyer for this. Even you posting this could open u up to a visit from INS in the middle of the ngiht dude.

-= nav =-