50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Umesh/Mohan/Anyone! How to file W-4 for hubby

Can hubby claim his four kids in Pakistan as dependents? Isn't he considered MY dependent up until the time he starts working? Can you claim 0 for all so he gets a good refund and then claim dependents when we file our taxes in April? what is the best way to do this without messing everything up but not owing anything.

Can hubby claim his four kids in Pakistan as dependents? Isn't he considered MY dependent up until the time he starts working? Can you claim 0 for all so he gets a good refund and then claim dependents when we file our taxes in April? what is the best way to do this without messing everything up but not owing anything.

You can file taxes jointly and claim all of his kids as dependants.....You and Hubby might need to apply for ITIN numbers through the IRS.

I am sure doing it this way, the IRS will always owe you money unless you both make over 70K/year.

KOKO

Your husband CAN NOT claim his four chidren who are residing in Pakistan as 'dependents' on his tax-return forms. I assume that his childrens are neither USC nor LPR as well don't have valid ss#, because in order to claim his children as dependents on tax-returns, his children must be USC or LPR as well must have valid ss#s.

Make sure that both of you should file joint tax returns under married status without any "FOULPLAY" or inaccurate information for self-serving reason, because immigration might want to see these tax-returns in the future. They might not ask at the time of green card but they will most definately inquire into it at the time of naturalzation and will investigate with "wide eye-opened" on each information on these tax returns. I've seen that BCIS had rejected naturalization applications of those individuals who had made untruthful statements on the tax return forms [i.e. claiming someone who has no legal status, claiming someone who is not residing in U.S., filing under married status while in fact the person is single, and lying something on the tax forms, etc.], because those people thought that BCIS would never find out about these tax matters, but BCIS investigate tax returns very aggresively and attentively at the time of naturalization. In addition, if ever IRS will find out about any untruthful statements which people made on their returns , then they will prosecute the parties involved criminally. I would only suggest that don't do anything which would clif-hang your hubby's chance of being naturalized in the future, as well you also can get in trouble in the future. So, be truthful on tax forms. Nevertheless, there are many other legal ways out there to get maximum deductions towards your taxes based on individual situations which you need to explore with accountant so that you can receive maximum refunds back from Uncle Sam.

As far as immigration matter goes, Yes- it is true that you are sponsoring yr hubby but it doesn't mean that yr hubby has to be a dependent on you, because he is allowed to work with EAD if he has valid EAD, which means he doesn't need to be dependent on you just because you have sponsored him for immigration benefit. I believe your indication is towards 'Affidavit of Form'. This affidavit is just simply a contract between you and the american govt that before becoming a USC if ever your husband seeks out any public benefits then govt will collect that amount from you, but this affidavit has nothing to do with IRS matters to determine whether he is dependent on you or not.

In your topic you have asked how to file W-4, so you need to file that form with notorized copy of yr huband's foreign passport including the page wherein a US Visa is stamped, and then send that form to IRS at the address of PA and he will receive ITIN within 4-8 weeks. There is no any fee to apply this number but you should remember that you husband can not use that number to work or some other purposes except just to report the taxes, otherwise IRS will notify to BCIS because IRS knows that these numbers issue to foreign nationals who can not obtain ss#.

Best of all.

Dear Sammy,
    I am ur admirer, u always explain ur point of view very clearly.Pl accept my appreciation on that account.
    As u explained to the original poster about tax problems in detail. I guess u can answer my tax questions as well.
    I have EAD, filed income tax for 2001 through an accoutant as I personally no knowldge of USA tax law. He filed my tax return on form 1040.Whereas I think he should have used 1040-A. Am I right?
    He claimed my son, who is a student on F-1 visa for Earned Income credit, which was not allowed by IRS because my wife has no ss#.
    What do u think if my wife get ITIN, will I be eligible for EIC, while my son is a student on F-1 visa & has a SS#?
    Thank u.

TO: XYZ

Thanks for yr compliments.

From what I understand from your post is that you have filed tax for 2001 by using 1040 form and had claimed your son as a dependent there and earned income credit, is it right? If so, then I don't see any problem in yr situation because you are allowed to claim yr son as a dependent because he is student [I assume that yr son is a full time student and living with you] and has a legal status [F-1] as well has valid ss#.

However, I don't understand why did you ask me about your wife's situation. Here is some information is not clear from yr post, but let me answer you based on my assumption on yr wife's situation. As you know that ITIN are issued to those foreign born nationals who can not obtain ss# and this number is used only for filing taxes rather than other purposes. If your wife would get this number, then it will automatically be known to IRS that yr wife is not legal resident in this country, and in that case they may notify to BCIS and may prosecute you for false information for evading IRS laws. You should know that each person on the tax forms should be legal according to tax law. If you wife has valid ss# then might be possible that IRS won't know her legal status here but they will definately would know if you use ITIN.

Don't not do anything wrong which may have severe consequences in the future. You may listen to whomever, ultimately you and your family's life would be in line in the end, so think hard before to move to something else which is not worth more than your future. Best of all.

To Sammy:

Thanks so much for your response.

Hubby just got his SS# number today, verbally from SS office. His SS# just got input yesterday, and he will have his SS card within two weeks. He has been hired to start his new job on Saturday. He also has EAD.

We had our AOS interview (marriage to USC) this past June. He did not get his passport stamped, as they are waiting for the background checks. We also have a joint sponsor, as I am disabled and don't make the poverty guidelines.

Hubbys four children were born in Pakistan and reside there with his mother and aunt. he former wife passed away five years ago.

I filed 2002 taxes jointly even though he wasn't able to work. I included 2002 tax return in our AOS package.

It seems I read somewhere (tax forms?) that SS# needed to be included for dependents and I think they have to be household members. That's why I asked, as I want to do everything properly. I don't want too much or too little withheld. From what I've read, if you do the W-4 worksheet CORRECTLY, the exemption should bring you around a "break even" point, neither too much, nor too little witheld.

Hubby WILL be wiring money to his children every month. They really are dependents, but not to IRS, I guess. Will the money wires need to be addressed when tax time comes, or is it like his children don't exist in IRS eyes? Thanks so much Sammy!

To Sammy:

Thanks so much for your response.

Hubby just got his SS# number today, verbally from SS office. His SS# just got input yesterday, and he will have his SS card within two weeks. He has been hired to start his new job on Saturday. He also has EAD.

We had our AOS interview (marriage to USC) this past June. He did not get his passport stamped, as they are waiting for the background checks. We also have a joint sponsor, as I am disabled and don't make the poverty guidelines.

Hubbys four children were born in Pakistan and reside there with his mother and aunt. he former wife passed away five years ago.

I filed 2002 taxes jointly even though he wasn't able to work. I included 2002 tax return in our AOS package.

It seems I read somewhere (tax forms?) that SS# needed to be included for dependents and I think they have to be household members. That's why I asked, as I want to do everything properly. I don't want too much or too little withheld. From what I've read, if you do the W-4 worksheet CORRECTLY, the exemption should bring you around a "break even" point, neither too much, nor too little witheld.

Hubby WILL be wiring money to his children every month. They really are dependents, but not to IRS, I guess. Will the money wires need to be addressed when tax time comes, or is it like his children don't exist in IRS eyes? Thanks so much Sammy!

You should always file the return even if you or your husband don't have any income, and your case it should be jointly being married. It's good that you did just that previously. In yr husband's case, he will hear from BCIS in the mail and if they approve his case then he may go to local office to get his passport stamped with the letter which he would receive in the mail.

As I already explained you that in order to claim his children as dependents, his children must be USC or LPR, should have valid SS#, and should be household member through out the given year [except certain exceptions]. So, yes-it's like his children don't exist in IRS eyes. However, he may be able to get some deductions towords the money he is wiring to his children, but tell him to keep all the receipts because BCIS must will ask at the time of his naturalization if there is any discrepancy arise in respect of child support question.

I do understand that you want to do everything properly, and don't want too much or too little withheld, hence you must need to see an accountant to find out mamimum deductions/exceptions in yr returns because I can not explain you everything here in details, and every one has their own individual situation, but I am sure that if you sum all those exemptions in yr case then you would be able to bring around a "break even" point, means-neither too much nor too little withheld, you know what I mean, right? Best of all.

Thanks Sammy, I think I'm gonna do a "future" tax return to get a guesstimate for the witholding.