50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: CANADA/WORKPERMIT

I'm currently an out-of-status individual living here in the United States. I've lived here for over 10 years now and it seems there are no chances for me to be legal. I'd like to try my chances in Canada.
    Just yesterday, I spoke with a prospective employer and they are very interested in hiring me, on contract for one year, but a guaranteed full-time position after one year! I have been contemplating on moving to Canada for a while now but a job offer would certainly make things easier for me.
    They have asked for me to meet with them up in Toronto but I obviously can't go because of my situation.
    What do I tell them? Does anyone know how to go about being 'sponsored' in Canada by an employer? I really don't want to miss out on this chance, but at the same time, I don't want to divulge that I'm already out of status here in the States (if at all possible of course).
    I had considered telling them that I'm only on H1-B visa and can't re-enter the States but I'm afraid the consulate in New York may ask for my H1-B visa. In addition, I read on the Canadian website that a valid passport and travel document must be presented to the Canadian embassy or consulate WITH PROOF OF RE-ENTRY TO THE COUNTRY THAT ISSUED THE PASSPORT. If I go to my native country's embassy, naturally the passport would be issued here in the States.
    Can anyone shed light on the issue? THANKS A LOT!!!

I'm currently an out-of-status individual living here in the United States. I've lived here for over 10 years now and it seems there are no chances for me to be legal. I'd like to try my chances in Canada.
    Just yesterday, I spoke with a prospective employer and they are very interested in hiring me, on contract for one year, but a guaranteed full-time position after one year! I have been contemplating on moving to Canada for a while now but a job offer would certainly make things easier for me.
    They have asked for me to meet with them up in Toronto but I obviously can't go because of my situation.
    What do I tell them? Does anyone know how to go about being 'sponsored' in Canada by an employer? I really don't want to miss out on this chance, but at the same time, I don't want to divulge that I'm already out of status here in the States (if at all possible of course).
    I had considered telling them that I'm only on H1-B visa and can't re-enter the States but I'm afraid the consulate in New York may ask for my H1-B visa. In addition, I read on the Canadian website that a valid passport and travel document must be presented to the Canadian embassy or consulate WITH PROOF OF RE-ENTRY TO THE COUNTRY THAT ISSUED THE PASSPORT. If I go to my native country's embassy, naturally the passport would be issued here in the States.
    Can anyone shed light on the issue? THANKS A LOT!!!

as u r out of status u will not be allowed back . but Canadians understand and they woulld be no problem getting u a work visa there. also then it is easy to get immigration to canada easily . their immigration system does not recognize out of status here. all they wld like to know is that u entered the country legally. so the risk is yours . u need to make up yr mind whether u want to take a chance and go there, here u know the things r tough after 9/11. i9 wld take it

If the company mails you a document asking you to come to Canada for an interview or even for working there, you may be able to get a visit visa to Canada from your home country. Once you get the job, you may be able to ask the company what visa arrangement it's going to make for you to work there and if you can become a canadian citizen eventually. Usually it's the hiring comany's headache, but you may also want to consult a lawyer.

When they say "country that issued the Passport", I think they mean your home country that you are a citizen of. So applying from the consulate in your home country won't be a problem.