Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious: Why America ?

Michael
    Let me ask the immigrants why they feel so strongly about America. The poll feature is gone so you have the freedom to write whatever. What is it that you feel America has that your home country doesn't and compels you to leave family, friends and familiar surroundings to come here ? Money, love, freedom, ??? What ?

Michael
    Let me ask the immigrants why they feel so strongly about America. The poll feature is gone so you have the freedom to write whatever. What is it that you feel America has that your home country doesn't and compels you to leave family, friends and familiar surroundings to come here ? Money, love, freedom, ??? What ?

Well, my situation is one shared by many children of employees of foreign companies doing business in the U.S.

In my case, I had no choice or say in whether or not to relocate to the U.S. I was 15 and my father was being asked to manage a new subdivision in the U.S. We thought it was going to be a temporary contract for 2 years, but then it got extended indefinitely and I've been here ever since. I've also gotten married here and gone to college.

How do I feel? Well, I feel totally ambivalent. I am neither an American nor a [country of citizenship/birth]. I feel like I am not really part of either culture, which in many ways is great because I believe that sometimes we use culture to separate us, disregarding the simple and basic biological fact that we're all the same.

I would love to return to my home country. It has the same freedoms available here in the U.S. and some advantages that the U.S. does not have. But my husband, who was born and raised here, would not be willing to live overseas.

I guess that I've come to appreciate my home country a lot more since I left than I ever did when I lived there, especially its people, its cuisine and its historical and artistic heritages. Alas, we can't turn the clock back.

Interestingly, many people who have lived similar circumstances to mine (as in, children of foreign employees of foreign subsidiaries, etc.) seem to share my same feelings.

When my hubby and I decided to get married we had to decide where to live too. I was a lawyer in Southamerica so coming to the US would mean loosing my job and not being able to practice my profession. My hubby is a federal law enforcement agent so couldnt work outside the US. One had to sacrifice and it was me. It was easier this way because he didnt speak Spanish.

I dont feel American and honestly I dont want to be one (I think it would be like betraying my own country). I miss country a lot, my friends, my family, my food, my traditions. I miss my old life style, which was quite luxury in my case.

But I would miss my hubby even more. So I came here. If we were in my country I would be happy but he would be sad.

I've lived in a lot of countries and there is no place like home. France has stand up bathrooms (no ceramic nothings) with a drain down by your feet (no splashing please), india's showers dont have curtains and water pressure is terrible (bucket required for full h20 coverage), germany has female sunbather's on top of the alps with long rapunzel like hair a' swinging from their armpits (and legs). Alot of toilets in europe are pay toilets, no quarter no tinkle. OK, i'm going off on a useless tangent.. LOL

Now I understand my aversion to shaving, my German ancestry. Why mess with what god gave you?
    Sweet Madame Belu

I like America because there is less anti-Americanism here than there is anywhere else! Granted, there is still plenty of it (most notably among pompous, naive, American college kids). LOL I have to laugh at myself sometimes. In all truth, America and its citizens are no more or less in God's eyes than any other nation.
    Have a nice day

I'll say the opportunity to get more $$$ is one of the major reason to choose USA

I came to America to rid the streets of *****s called Michael

The average annual salary in Mexico is 4000.00 a year and here it is 5 times that. We share a huge, permeable border with Mexico. It doesn't take a genius to understand why they are flooding in. It has nothing to do, for the most part, with having any particular admiration for Americans or the American government. If Belgium shared a huge border with Mexico, than Mexicans would be flocking there.

As to immigrants from industrialized, rich nations, I cannot say. Perhaps they admire the culture, or have relatives who live here. Perhaps they have to come for career related reasons.
    Have a nice day