ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



Immigration Daily

Chinese Immig. Daily

The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Approve this, approve this not

  1. #1
    I'm on an H-1B and need to travel outside the US for a couple of weeks because my job requires it. I don't have the visa stamp on my passport yet. Can I apply for it at the US Consulate of the country I'm visiting (Germany) ? Some people tell me I have to go to my home country and get it there. I have no problem in going back to Italy and applying for the visa there, however, some coworkers recommend me not to leave the US because not all H-1B visas are approved at the American consulates, they don't care about your job and they do it maliciously so that you don't return to the US. Has anyone heard this too ?

  2. #2
    see this link if you are a H, L, O, P, E or I Visa Holder (visa holder) :

    Ciao Bello,

    Every Concular office has its own set of regulations. It is harder and harder to get a Visa Stamp in now days. It is even more so if you are a Third Country National.

    Do you at least have an expired H-1B Visa stamp in you passport? If so, the above link would help in your case. I used it. I got a second H-1B Visa stamp there.

    Good Luck.

  3. #3
    Visa applicants are subject to the same background check now, which takes about 4 months to complete. So you are looking at a vacation of 4 months in EU even if you can get the visa. I don't know if being from Italy helps or not. If possible call the consulate to find out.

  4. #4
    I appreciate your responses. However, no one has said anything I don't know. I heard this story from a guy from China who applied for an H-1B visa stamp in Beijing and was denied 3 times. He had to sell his apartment in California and stay in China. I certainly don't want to spend 4 month on vacation in my country...I would be fired. A lawyer told me a security check is carried out when applying for an H-1B visa only if you have been in the US for more than 6 months. I'm just wondering if anyone has factual information about getting the H-1B stamp at the US consulate overseas.

  5. #5
    the lack of responses indicates that nobody would advise you to repeat your friend's stunt.

  6. #6
    guest: This guy isn't my friend. Is only a case I know but it's real and not speculation. If you consider a stunt going out of the US then I'm a stuntman. I'm a salesman for Europe and have important accounts for my American employer company all over Europe.

  7. #7
    Same problem. I feel stuck here, because I heard bad things about Consulates not willing to give you the H stamp. Please, let me know if you have any progress on your case. Regards.

  8. #8
    <If you consider a stunt going out of the US then I'm a stuntman.>

    I am saying that you have a 99% chance not to be able to re-enter.

  9. #9
    To Ciao Bello
    You have a responsiblity and duty to your employer which you have to fulfill. At the same time you have to watch you interest also. Before travelling to Europe you should explain the situation to your employer that it may take a little longer for you to return. Moreover, take copies of your whole case file from the Immigration and a letter from your employer about his assignment and how important you are and your job function for the Company.
    This should help you to get a stamp from US Consulate in Germany or in your home Country.
    Although they may give you a little hard time, but you will be okay with all those papers and letters.
    Good luck.

  10. #10
    Thank you Umesh Passi. Do you think it's easier to get a stamp at a Border Post instead ? I still don't understand why they'll give me a hard time. What's their criteria to deny the stamp ? If it's the same as "Guest" I understand, but why a consular officer refuse to stamp an H-1B visa ?

Similar Threads

  1. ablout I-751 approve and devorce
    By Bardan_basu in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 03:48 PM
  2. green card approve problem
    By Tiredlife in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-23-2007, 09:37 AM
  3. wait over i130 approve
    By someone in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 08:34 AM
  4. how many years does take for i-130 to be approve?
    By in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2002, 08:49 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-04-2002, 10:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: