publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: special registration, Canadian but....

This question is for MOHAN, but any body else who is knowledgble about this also response please.

I am a canadian citizen currently living in USA. I was originally from a country listed for special registration. Recently i applied for adjustment under LIFE (Lulac) and applied as a citizen of my birth country (because i became canadian citizen AFTER i applied for LIFE). Anyway, now my question is (1) since i hold a canadian passport now do i still have to register? And (2) in interview or before interview should i let INS know that i became a canadian citizen recently?

Thanks

WHAT IS SPECIAL REGISTRATION?

Special Registration is a system that will let the government keep track of nonimmigrants that come to the U.S. every year. Some of the approximately 35 million nonimmigrants who enter the U.S. and some nonimmigrants already in the U.S. -- will be required to register with INS either at a port of entry or a designated INS office in accordance with the special registration procedures. These special procedures also require additional in-person interviews at an INS office and notifications to INS of changes of address, employment, or school. Nonimmigrants who must follow these special procedures will also have to use specially designated ports when they leave the country and report in person to an INS officer at the port on their departure date.

Please note the following:

Another group of countries has been recently identified and its citizens and nationals will be required to follow special registration procedures.

Special Registration of certain individuals from certain countries at U.S. ports of entry continues. Those visitors already in the U.S. who were registered at a port of entry on or after September 11, 2002 are still subject to Special Registration procedures required at their time of entry and during their stay in the U.S.
    SPECIAL REGISTRATION GROUPS AND PROCEDURES

CALL-IN GROUP 4 (added 1/16/03): CITIZENS OR NATIONALS OF Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, or Kuwait

Who Must Register (Group 4)?

If you are in this category you must register at a designated INS Office between February 24, 2003 and March 28, 2003.

If you are a male born on or before February 24, 1987, and

If you were inspected by the INS and last admitted to the U.S. as a nonimmigrant on or before September 30, 2002

If you did not have an application for asylum pending on January 16, 2003, and

If you will be in the U.S. at least until March 28, 2003.
    CALL-IN GROUP 3 (added 12/18/02): CITIZENS OR NATIONALS OF Pakistan or Saudi Arabia

Who Must Register (Group 3)?

If you are in this category you must register at a designated INS Office between January 13, 2003 and February 21, 2003.

If you are a male born on or before January 13, 1987, and

If you were inspected by the INS and last admitted to the U.S. as a nonimmigrant on or before September 30, 2002

If you did not have an application for asylum pending on December 18, 2002, and

If you will be in the U.S. at least until February 21, 2003.
    Who Must Register (Group 2)?

If you are in this category you must register at a designated INS Office between January 27, 2003 and February 7, 2003.

If you are a male born on or before December 2, 1986, and

If you did not apply for asylum on or before November 22, 2002, and

If you will be in the U.S. at least until January 10, 2003.

CALL-IN GROUP 1 (extended 1/16/03): CITIZENS OR NATIONALS OF Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan and Syria

Who Must Register?

If you are in this category you must register at a designated INS Office between January 27, 2003 and February 7, 2003.

If you are a male born on or before November 15, 1986, and

If you were inspected by the INS and last admitted to the U.S. as a nonimmigrant on or before September 10, 2002,

If you did not apply for asylum on or before November 6, 2002, and

If you will be in the U.S. at least until December 16, 2002.

Sonia:

You have to register as long as you were born in one of the countries whose citizens are required to register. YOur Canadian citizenship has nothing to do with it. If you have applied under Life Legalization, make sure that you take any receipts, EAD, etc that you have regarding your case and let the interviewing officer know. As far as your Canadian Citizenship, did you mention that in your application regarding LIFE Legalization? If you didn't mention Canada in your application, It's up to you to decide weather you want to disclose this information now. The interviewing officer is not going to ask you if you are a citizen of Canada or not. He/she just needs to see your passport of your native country.
    Best of Luck.