50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: medical insurance

If you know the answer to this, please help me!

My mother is a Canadian citizen, and I am a US citizen. I filed a petition for her to become a permanent residence in the USA. On the date of her interview, the US Consulate in Canada denied her because she must show proof of health insurance in the USA for the time being, until she becomes a citizen, and will be eligible for benefits. I am over qualified, and have met the poverty guidelines more than ten times over, but they are saying that is not the reason. My mother has diabetes and no insurance company is willing to do business with anyone over the age 55. The immigration consulate is asking me to provide an insurance quote from an insurance company that will be responsible for issuing insurance to her once she arrives in the USA. My mother in 70 years old, and I have tried all the insurance companies, and the same reasons and answers keep reoccurring - "Not over age 55, and also without a social security number." I have been trying to obtain this information for over six months, and am now running out of time. I called the Canadian/US immigration office, and asked them to recommend a health insurance company in the USA, who they are familiar with, and to my surprise, they said they could not supply me with this information. If any one is familiar with this situation, or have some advise for me, I would really appreciate your immediate response.

Thanks

If you know the answer to this, please help me!

My mother is a Canadian citizen, and I am a US citizen. I filed a petition for her to become a permanent residence in the USA. On the date of her interview, the US Consulate in Canada denied her because she must show proof of health insurance in the USA for the time being, until she becomes a citizen, and will be eligible for benefits. I am over qualified, and have met the poverty guidelines more than ten times over, but they are saying that is not the reason. My mother has diabetes and no insurance company is willing to do business with anyone over the age 55. The immigration consulate is asking me to provide an insurance quote from an insurance company that will be responsible for issuing insurance to her once she arrives in the USA. My mother in 70 years old, and I have tried all the insurance companies, and the same reasons and answers keep reoccurring - "Not over age 55, and also without a social security number." I have been trying to obtain this information for over six months, and am now running out of time. I called the Canadian/US immigration office, and asked them to recommend a health insurance company in the USA, who they are familiar with, and to my surprise, they said they could not supply me with this information. If any one is familiar with this situation, or have some advise for me, I would really appreciate your immediate response.

Thanks

because of the rules about "no public aid" your mother cannot get medicare at this time, however she is elligible for county and independent sector medical plans, which will not exclude her due to her diabetes. Many hospitals that are county-funded have thier own programs for payment based on income,and there are free-standing clinics and HMO's that have thier own "pre-paid service"plans for both emergency and routine care. Shop around somemore to see if you can get one or more combinations of this type and pre-enroll her;even based on your income most have a co-pay cap which would still be lower than the private insurance companies that are refusing her coverage. Let me know how this works for you, it did for me(EXACT same circumstances).

Hi Nancy :

I have the information that'll help you with your
    mother's situation. If all they want to know it is if your mother have health coverage or not, I have the solution. Please send an information request to ivancavalcante@hotmail.com , and I'll be glad to send you the details.
    Best Regards,
    Ivan

Nancy,
    Ask your Human Resources about the insurance for your DEPENDENT. You can get this with your additional Co-Payment. If they refuse enroll your mother in the employer group policy (only after they refuse) ask again or any your boss can ask to enroll your mother for a full cost, that employer should pay for her insurance (for your mother's age it can be about $350-500). You can pay this premium until you will need this insurance and cancell any time.

Insurance Services of America can assist with insurance for immigrants up to age 80! You may reach them at 1-800-647-4589. They also have a web site, www.immigrationhealth.com . This site does not have information on the plan that will fit your needs, but they do have any excellent plan for other immigrants! Give them a call and ask for Mark!