50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Working in Hawaii

Hey everyone, I curently work as an exc chef in the uk, I'm a south african national of Scotish parents thus work in the uk with the right of abode, however I would love to work as a chef in Hawaii, does anyone know how I could maybe do this?

Hey everyone, I curently work as an exc chef in the uk, I'm a south african national of Scotish parents thus work in the uk with the right of abode, however I would love to work as a chef in Hawaii, does anyone know how I could maybe do this?

Unless you qualify for a work visa as a person of "extraordinary ability" (O-1 visa) and can get a US Citizen sponsor (employer), you can pretty much forget it. Regular chef's are ten-a-penny over here and with the economy the way it is and high unemployment...well you get the picture.

These are not easy visas to obtain. Read here for more info on them.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Cook visa is not for extraordinary culinary geniuses, but simply for ones who have at least 2 years experience in whatever ethnic food cooking it is, provided there is an employer willing to hire in US and there are no USC or GC holders to fill the position.

It's a multistep process, used to take like couple of years 15 years ago, now the category could be backlogged and good luck with finding the employer.

Immigration for Cooks

We have successfully handled many immigration cases for specialty cooks (restaurant chefs). Restaurant cooks are not "Professionals", but they are in high shortage (supply does not meet demand). Because of the "specialty" of the cooks, U.S. workers generally cannot do the job as well as foreign cooks. To the surprise of most readers, our immigration cases for those specialty cooks have been approved quickly, even faster than these applications for computer/IT professionals or mechanical/civil engineers in some regions.

How did you do it? We do it through fast track labor certification: Reduction in recruitment (RIR).

What requirements? 1. must have an employer (restaurant or food service related company) in the U.S. who is willing to file the application; 2. must have at least two-year experience as a cook.

What documents do we need? 1. The employer's legal name, address, telephone number and fax number; 2. The employer's federal employer identification number (tax number); 3. The alien worker's full name, address, date of birth; 4. The alien worker's two-year work experience verification letter; 5. The alien worker's work history.

Q&A:

1. Can you apply for a green card for a cook who is still in a foreign country? Yes. That is exactly what we do.

2. Can the alien cook's family members come to the U.S. along with the alien cook? Yes. Once we successfully get his immigration petition approved, the alien cook and his immediate family members (spouse and children) obtain immigrant visa to enter the U.S.

3. Can your law office find a sponsoring restaurant for me? No. We are law office, not an employment agency.

4. Can you apply for a green card for an experienced cook who does not have legal status in this country? Generally not. More information is needed.

5. How do I start the process? Have the employer

http://www.uslawnet.com/Englis...mmigration/cooks.htm
    http://www.anbsoft.com/images/usflag_med.jpg

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit

Cooks can get H1B as well as be sponsored for a green card. California is full of Chinese and Japanese cusine chefs who immigrated as either non-immigrants or immigrants. You just have to find a restaurant to sponsor you. An O-1 is not the route though.

O-1 is always an option, especially for mediocre people, but it takes time. You have to have lots of BS-ing people write lots of BS stories about you and your achievements in papers, books and so on (it's mostly political process, you have to know where to rub your elbows, how and with whom).
    Have nothing to do with really talented people though.
    Truly talented people are extremely rare and sought after rather than seek visas anywhere.

In OP case, he is a cook. No need for O-1 at all. H1b won't work, because it requires 4 years college degree. Direct Green Card application is the surest route.
    The only question is where is he going to find an ethnic restaurant owner in these days who is so badly in need of UK cook that he would go into trouble of filling all the papers and wait until it's approved, with adds and stuff to prove there are no US based cooks and etc?
    http://www.anbsoft.com/images/usflag_med.jpg

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit

U hate everyone on this earth? I thought u are only a terrorist, i guess u are much more than EVIL. btw, F.............ck yOU

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by federale86:
    Cooks can get H1B as well as be sponsored for a green card. California is full of Chinese and Japanese cusine chefs who immigrated as either non-immigrants or immigrants. You just have to find a restaurant to sponsor you. An O-1 is not the route though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>