50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Application Procedures after Marriage?

Hi! everyone I'm Carl a USC, me and my girlfriend were getting married next week but I don't know what all the forms needed to file to the BCIS after the marriage. I love her very much and I know she feels the same way too. I want her to stay here permanently with me and start a family cause her visa will expire in the next 2 months so, anybody can help me what to do?

Thank you very much readers!

Hi! everyone I'm Carl a USC, me and my girlfriend were getting married next week but I don't know what all the forms needed to file to the BCIS after the marriage. I love her very much and I know she feels the same way too. I want her to stay here permanently with me and start a family cause her visa will expire in the next 2 months so, anybody can help me what to do?

Thank you very much readers!

This webpage from the INS website should tell you what you need to do.

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/...hdiknonimm.htm

Carl,

What visa type she is using now? If as the tourist, after you married to her, just file for AOS (Adjustment of Status). Check the above website, its official BCIS site and you will know what to do. Its not easy and not hard to do if your case is straight forward. Just be very careful, read many times and make sure you give all the supporting attachments as requested so they can process you application without asking for extra stuff from you. Also be prepare to have about $800 or if you hire lawyer it cost 4 or 5 times than that. By the way I'm not a lawyer, pls act accordingly. My advice, read and read and read and triple check your work.

Good luck.

Thank a lot to both of you!She's only a visitor here yah,she got a tourist visa. What do you suggest, is it better to hire a lawyer or to do it by my own self filing the necessary forms and documents?As a matter of fact, I cannot afford to hire a lawyer.

You can do the forms yourself,lots of people do. You don't have to have a lawyer. But as "Me2" says read the forms & instructions very carefully, and no typos! Any mistakes can delay your case, BCIS is a stickler for accuracy.

I know that my circumstances scare me to death when it comes to making sure my forms are filled out properly. I have a legitimate 1 1/2 year relationship with a man from the U.K. and we wish to be married soon. We have visited each other numerous times but he wants to stay and be married on our next visit. I've read so many different views and laws--but don't want to mess anything up to cause delays! Is it really as hard as they say it is?

It's stressful that's for sure filling out forms and accumulating all the documentation you need, but It can be done without a lawyer. I don't think that it's just me, but some of the wording on the forms can leave your head spinning. You just have to re-read everything to make sure you understand what is being asked of you.
    It took me weeks of doing the forms over and over until I was satisfied that they were correct. As I only filed a couple of months ago, I won't know for ages if I did get it right.
    P.S. Tell your fiance to bring his childhood vaccination records with him from the UK if he can get his hands on them. Mine were destroyed by my hometown Dr.in the UK as I hadn't been a patient there for a few years, it's standard practice apparently. I had to have my "shots: again in the USA for BCIS medical and it cost a bloody fortune!

Hannah, coming into the US as a visitor with the intent to get married is illegal and if customs suspect anything at the point of entry he could get turned back.
    You may want to look into a K1 fiancee visa. You can find information on it at
    http://bcis.stephenpalik.com/faq/k1faq.htm
    There is a newsgroup/disscusion forum that you may find useful.
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/
    Scroll down to the US Marriage Based Visas.
    This site has a wealth of knowledge from those going through the process or that have already been through it.

Carl,

If your case straight forward and you know how to read English..., sure you can fill the form by yourself, its easy, as I said just read carefully and fill in the form carefully. I filed by myself and as one of our friend here said it might takes weeks to read and read and to understand what they need in the form cause it may get confusing but you will get through it. Yes, you can adjust her status after marriage, its called AOS (Adjustment Of Status). She also can work while her AOS pending by applying EAD (employment authorization), it takes approximately 90 days or less for EAD approval.

Make sure she have:-

1. Her valid passport
    2. I-94 (this form she get when she in the plane, it small card attached to the passport)
    3. Her birth certificate
    4. If she has her vaccination records thats good, if not just do MMR and they can trace what vaccination she already has (its might cost you though). But if she can remember, just tell the doctor she has it. Oh yep, she also have to do medical exam before submit the forms. You can look through in BCIS site the panel doctors for BCIS and check the price, it differ for each of them.

When you submit your attachment, DO NOT submit originals...copies are enough, if they want to see original BCIS will request. So keep your original with yourself.

More than that, you can always get ideas how to do it by joining the forum group either here or other site.

Most ppl will advise you that is wrong to get married with visitor visa, which is right, but well, when we are in love, cannot be separated...thats the only way. So Carl, good luck. Anything just ask away. I will try to help but pls remember to double check with others too since I'm not the expert but I also get married with visitor visa and already filed my case.

As the K1 Visa you can do that if you are willing to be separated for quite a long time, the fastest is 6 months and sometimes more over a year. But if your fiancee already in US, why should go back and forth. But the disadvantage of having visitor visa and having bf or gf in US is that if the officer at the port of entry knew that you gonna get married, boy oh boy...they will deport you back. So let say...this is not planned, its a SPUR OF THE MOMENT things...and you will be okay .

I'm not a lawyer, pls act accordingly.