publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: I-751 - What needs to be done to remain in status after the one year GC extension expires?

Here is my situation: I filed an I-751 at the VSC a long time ago and I see that they are still working on the cases from Dec 2001 What do I need to do now that my 1 year GC extension that was given to me when I filed the I-751? I think I will have to renew this 1 year extension twice before the I-751 is processed. Does anybody know how to go about this? Do I need to go to my local district office to get the extension or do I send something to the VSC? Will the VSC just send me another extension before my current one runs out (yeah, right...)

DOES ANYBODY KNOW????? ANY EXPERIENCES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!! I need to travel across the border regularly and I NEED a valid receipt (extension) showing that my GC reamins valid...

Thanks in advance!

Here is my situation: I filed an I-751 at the VSC a long time ago and I see that they are still working on the cases from Dec 2001 What do I need to do now that my 1 year GC extension that was given to me when I filed the I-751? I think I will have to renew this 1 year extension twice before the I-751 is processed. Does anybody know how to go about this? Do I need to go to my local district office to get the extension or do I send something to the VSC? Will the VSC just send me another extension before my current one runs out (yeah, right...)

DOES ANYBODY KNOW????? ANY EXPERIENCES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!! I need to travel across the border regularly and I NEED a valid receipt (extension) showing that my GC reamins valid...

Thanks in advance!

you should go to your district office and request a new stamp (I-551) on your passport, this stamp works as a green card it gives the right to work and travel, but this stamp is just valid for one year. I have a friend that is in the same situation you are and his passport has been stampped about three times.

Hey ARq, welcome back!

Thanks - It has been a long time and yet nothing has changed... Still waiting...

Here is a followup question that I would like to get some feedback on: When I head to the District Office, do I need to bring updated docuemntation or just copies of the filed paperwork or??? Anyone had recent experience with renewing their extension? Feedback would be appreciated.

I have traveled across the border a several times on the old 1 yr extension with no problems at all however, I have been asked if I am still married a couple of times... Which I technically still am... But I am sure my divorce will be completed LONG before the I-751 is processed.

I certainly hope I am not in for a surprise right at the end... After all it is 6 yrs in the 'pipeline' and counting... Only 2 or 3 more years to go..

ARQU

As far as I know all you need to bring (to the district office) is yor passport (for the stamp), your expired 2 year green card, and the letter (original not copy) that they sent you stating that your green card was valid for one more year.

That is what I am assuming as well. The problem is that a person should never assume (especially when visting the INS in person...). Thanks.

ARQU