publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Umesh Passi. Please help. very urgent matter.

Umesh, and anyone else who could help,

I am in the I485 adjustment of status stage. It was filed in Oct 2001. Today I have lost my job. I know that I need to get another job with the same job description and job function.

But how long do I have before i need find this other JOB?
    Am i out of status now?

If I had continued my job i would have probably recieved my Greencard by june or july.

So could I get an ALL commision based job with the same job description and job function?

I am in California if that helps. Does the Job i get also have to be in CA? or can i work anywhere in the states??

Thank you all for your help.

Umesh, and anyone else who could help,

I am in the I485 adjustment of status stage. It was filed in Oct 2001. Today I have lost my job. I know that I need to get another job with the same job description and job function.

But how long do I have before i need find this other JOB?
    Am i out of status now?

If I had continued my job i would have probably recieved my Greencard by june or july.

So could I get an ALL commision based job with the same job description and job function?

I am in California if that helps. Does the Job i get also have to be in CA? or can i work anywhere in the states??

Thank you all for your help.

IS your AOS based on marriage or employement?

xandtrick,

Thank you for you quick response. My AOS is employement based.

Thank you.

you will not be considered out of status although it is advised to find a new job as fast as possible.

Check with the BCIS what the graceperiod is.

Good luck.

CHANGE OF JOBS DURING PENDENCY OF I-485

This has been a hot issue for the past several months. INS has finally provided some guidance. I feel this is still insufficient, but at least we have something.

Page 8-9 explain that an I-485 applicant may change jobs after 180 days have passed since the pendency of their I-485. In order to change jobs, they should (not must) write INS notifying them of the job change to a job that is similar to one on which the I-485 is based. They should also supply a letter from the next employer providing the job title, salary and job description of the new employment. The applicants do not have to wait for INS action, but INS will assess whether the two jobs are similar. If they are not similar, INS could (and probably would) deny the I-485. The hard part is the definition of "similar."

I hope this help.

There is no need for your new employer to file a second I-485 on your behalf. As long as your job is in the same or similar occupation you can adjust status using your previously filed I-485. You can continue employment using your Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

Your AOS application is pending in CA, so it is better to look for a job in that area. Otherwise, you will have to file for transfer of your file to other Immigration office, which will delay your AOS.
    Also, under the AC21 law enacted October 2000, if the I-485 is pending 180 days or more the case can proceed based upon a job offer with a new employer, provided the job is similar. In that situation, the person could use the EAD card to work for the new employer while the I-485 is pending.
    Good luck.