50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Approved I-130! Yeah, but what is I-171 vs. I-797?? Help!

Hey all! Got my I-130 approved! I think! I got a letter in the mail (Form I-171) which says at the top "NOTICE OF APPROVAL OF RELATIVE IMMIGRANT VISA PETITION" but when I went online to take a look at the I-485 instructions to prepare this next document, it says I need a form I-797, notice of action. Does anyone know the difference?

Just FYI: I married my longtime USC girlfriend after my visa expired (overstay) and was issued NTA as a result of that during Spec. Reg. (that was the only 'charge') Meanwhile, our I-130 was submitted after NTA--because this is all you can submit.

Our lawyer said after this approval when can go before court to adjust. But I won't be able to talk to her until Monday to know the difference between these two forms and if this is the approval document--I'm dyin' 'til then!! Can anyone help??? What is I-171 vs. I-797??

Hey all! Got my I-130 approved! I think! I got a letter in the mail (Form I-171) which says at the top "NOTICE OF APPROVAL OF RELATIVE IMMIGRANT VISA PETITION" but when I went online to take a look at the I-485 instructions to prepare this next document, it says I need a form I-797, notice of action. Does anyone know the difference?

Just FYI: I married my longtime USC girlfriend after my visa expired (overstay) and was issued NTA as a result of that during Spec. Reg. (that was the only 'charge') Meanwhile, our I-130 was submitted after NTA--because this is all you can submit.

Our lawyer said after this approval when can go before court to adjust. But I won't be able to talk to her until Monday to know the difference between these two forms and if this is the approval document--I'm dyin' 'til then!! Can anyone help??? What is I-171 vs. I-797??

Can't you find at the ins page? www.ins.gov.

I surfed that site (which is now www.immigration.gov) but couldn't find something that said one or the other. Actually, I looked at the hard copy of the 485 I have here, but it just says evidence of approval--so I guess that could be the I-171; still, I wanted to know if we will get something more official looking. This is just a plain white sheet, no fancy stamp or nothing. I could make it on my computer--haha. I'd like to know what others have received after I-130 approval. Maybe I'm just making myself crazy!

please check the envelope. Is it immigration sevices envelope? I hope no one is kidding with u.

Yeah--wouldn't that be a joke!
    But yes, the envelope is from the DOJ, INS in LA. It even lists the room we had to go to for our interview. The paper looks official but not special. It does list the District Director's name correctly and is date-stamped in orange. I don't think it is a joke. I do remember seeing I-171 listed somewhere--but don't remember where. Also, they cc'd a copy to my lawyer, who is also listed c/o on the envelope--so I think it is legit. I'm sure my lawyer will know, but I just can't stand the wait!

u have to wait till u contact ur lawyer. I am trying to find out something to tell u about this. Good luck

It reads as follow on immigration site.
    Forms Used in Orphan Cases
    Form I-171 -- Notice of Approval of Relative Immigrant Visa Petition (sent to petitioning parent when the I-600 orphan petition is approved

Wait a min, you were served NTA due to Spec. Reg. and then you filed the I-130... It is not that long ago...

I forgot what state were you in? And what was the timeline? I mean when were you put in proceedings and when was the I-130 submitted?

My timeline is unbelievable Bushmaster, I don't know, it must be God on my side!

Married beginning of December 2002.

Special Reg. at end of Dec. (no paperwork filed yet, because didn't have official marriage cert from state) I'd overstayed my visa and was unlawfully present as of Sept. 2002

Received NTA at Spec. Reg. b/c of overstay but not detained (longer than a few hours) or issued bond, ROR

Got marriage licence beginning Jan '03, filed I-130 immediately with CSC as was told by one lawyer (we changed lawyers then b/c he changed his price to $15,000!!) We went pro bono.

Received letter for Master Calender hearing to be at beginning of March '03. In the meantime, our new lawyer told us to re-submit I-130 app. to local office so they would have it before the trial.

At the hearing, admitted to deportability, but showed that I had relief (marriage to USC before NTA), he scheduled another hearing (master cal) for Sept. '03 to give INS a chance to adjudicate the I-130.

In April got letter for I-130 interview, which was to be at beginning of May.

Went to interview on Friday. Officer said we'd know in two weeks, (lawyer said probably more like two months).

We received approval of I-130 letter Thursday!

It says that they adjudicated the I-130 submitted in March (not in January) so it says date submitted, in March, date approved, May!!

I can't believe it! Is that time unreal or what???