50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: How long is 3 years?

My wife recieved her permanent residence about 2 years ago. She has been in the US for almost 7 years - first on F-1, then after we married and long delay as permanent resident. We have been married 4 1/2 years - residing in the US the entire time.

Recently she heard that 2 of her friends are applying for naturalization. They say that there is some change in the law such that the spouse of a citizen need only be married to that citizen for 3 years - rather than being required to be a permanent resident for 3 years. They say this info is not on-line, but their lawyer knows about it and is filing for them.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Thanks,
    -Twick

My wife recieved her permanent residence about 2 years ago. She has been in the US for almost 7 years - first on F-1, then after we married and long delay as permanent resident. We have been married 4 1/2 years - residing in the US the entire time.

Recently she heard that 2 of her friends are applying for naturalization. They say that there is some change in the law such that the spouse of a citizen need only be married to that citizen for 3 years - rather than being required to be a permanent resident for 3 years. They say this info is not on-line, but their lawyer knows about it and is filing for them.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Thanks,
    -Twick

A spouse of a U.S. Citizen can apply for Naturalization 90 days prior to 3rd anniversary of his/her Adjustment of Status. In other words from the date when his/her Passport was stamped for Permanent Residency. Original Green Card always comes in Mail in about 4 - 6 months. If your wife had received her GC about 2 years ago, then she need to remove conditions on her Green Card by filing I-751 within 90 days prior to 2nd anniversary of Adjustment of Status/stamp on her Passport.
    Good luck.

This is as I thought.

There are no conditions on her PR - since she recieved it after we had already been married two years.

I assumed that her friends simply misunderstood the wording of the law. They assumed that "resident" meant they lived here etc.

It would be very embarrasing for me, and would hurt my wife if one of her friends who is in a similar situation became a citizen before her - having been married a shorter time and in the country a shorter time. So, I have to be sure. Also, I would very much like it if she could become a citizen ASAP.

Thanks again for your reply.

-Twick