free information!
Copyright
1995-2014
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No AOS annotation on I-94 and I-485

My dad entered US last Dec, for the 2nd time with a multiple entry visa. They questioned him why he came back in 3 month and put a NO COS/EOS/AOS notation on his I-94. I got my citizenship at the end of Jan 2009. I wonder if I can still file I-485 for him. I asked some lawyers, some said he will be denied and possiblly be charge with Fraud and be ban from GC forever. Some said he can still do it, if they deny him, we can always appeal and win with the matter of Cavazos, supra. which says citizen's immediate relative can enter with pre-intention of immigration. My questions are: 1 can some expert on this website to evaluate which answer is correct.
    2. I was not a citizen yet when my Dad entered US. Can Cavazos case even apply to him?

Thank you very much.

My dad entered US last Dec, for the 2nd time with a multiple entry visa. They questioned him why he came back in 3 month and put a NO COS/EOS/AOS notation on his I-94. I got my citizenship at the end of Jan 2009. I wonder if I can still file I-485 for him. I asked some lawyers, some said he will be denied and possiblly be charge with Fraud and be ban from GC forever. Some said he can still do it, if they deny him, we can always appeal and win with the matter of Cavazos, supra. which says citizen's immediate relative can enter with pre-intention of immigration. My questions are: 1 can some expert on this website to evaluate which answer is correct.
    2. I was not a citizen yet when my Dad entered US. Can Cavazos case even apply to him?

Thank you very much.

Wrong, the application can be denied for fraud, as his pattern and practice with the Non-immigrant visa was to eventually use the NIV to immigrant and to evade the regular immigrant proceedure. You can try and win before an immigration judge or the Bureau of Immigration Appeals, but not likely.

More importantly, the annotation means that your father was questioned specifically to his intent and denied he intended to immigrate. He is lucky his stay wasn't limited to less than 6 months. And even luckier he was not refused as an intending immigrant. Remember his statements were memorialized in the secondary inspection report.

Whether you win or not before the IJ will more depend on the attitude of the judge than any controling opinion, but in the end, it will be expensive.

My advice is just follow the rules and have him apply for an immigrant visa when after you are naturalized and he returns to his home country.

I heard parents of USC do the AOS all the time. So if someone doesn't have the annotation on the I-94 can do it without problem?
    How should the matter of Cavazos supra be interprated?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by biella:

Thank you very much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

it appears that your father may be abusing the visa privedge by visting and staying the U.S. too often.

I found this site to assist. Basically, it would be in your father's best interest to retutn home within 45 days and then you can file for adjustment of status for him. This is my opinion. Good luck.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

I don't know what you are talking about. Within 45 days of what? I can even start I-130 CP process while he is here. I really don't see the point you are trying to make.

The site you attached said: Over the years, we have adjusted a number of individuals who had such notations on visas and I-94 cards.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by biella:
    I don't know what you are talking about. Within 45 days of what? I can even start I-130 CP process while he is here. I really don't see the point you are trying to make.

The site you attached said: Over the years, we have adjusted a number of individuals who had such notations on visas and I-94 cards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Bella,
    The immigration officer gave a time frame of 45 day stay in the country under the visitor visa. You can still adjust his status, all I am recommending is that your father return home within the time frame that he is allowed to stay to make the adjustment of status go more smoothly. If he stays beyond the time frame that the officer has allowed and is denied the adjustment of status, he will have a bar. It is risky, therefore, for your father to remain in the country while his adjustment of status is pending.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Let him go back this time. Meantime, you file I-130 for him. He will have two options 1: get immigrant visa in his country. Or re-enter US after several months and hope they do not put NO AOS stamp on his I-94 at that tiem. In tha case, he will be able to adjust his status here.

just what do you think 'NO AOS' means? Why do you think that your father is the exception? Where does it state in our laws that he is not subject to them? This is the kind of situation that makes it more difficult for honest people to get tourist visas...when lowlifes decide to try and ignore our laws.....NO AOS means NO AOS. There is not an "*" next to this notation that says "oh, but this clown is the exception"

Biella: Your father was specifically asked at the port of entry whether he was an intending immigrant...and he obviously said that he wasn't.

The CBP Officer allowed your father to enter America, based on his assertion that he was NOT an intending immigrant...and noted this on the I-94.

Now, it would appear that your father is a liar.

Why don't you and your father show due respect for your new country...and follow its laws.

Quite honestly, it seems to me that America doesn't need to import liars and their apologists (such as yourself).