Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Left US on valid F1 and didn't return

Hello all,

I have a quick question:

I was in f1 status (my 2nd degree) and left in May 2008 (I-20 valid till 2010), after my finals. I decided I did not want to go back to school because I was offered a job in another country (based on my first degree) and so I didn't go back to US.

In October of 2008 my school sent me an email asking me where I was. I didn't know I was supposed to give the International Students Office word that I left and was not returning. I told them I have left, and submitted my I-94 at the airport when I left while I was in status in May. They notified SEVIS and made a note in their system.

I completely didnt know I had to notify the office of international students but they have been notified as of Oct 2008. (I left in May, whilst in status) Please note I do not owe anything to the school as I paid in full till I left) Now end of this year - 2009, I am planning to return to US to continue my studies.

My question is, was what I did wrong? Will there be some kind of bar against me?

Key points:
    1. I left while I was in status and have not returned since.
    2. I notified School 5 months after I left (I didn't know I had to tell them)
    3. They notified SEVIS and made a note in their system immediately
    4. Planning for a return trip. Will immigration have something against me in their system?

Thank you for the input.

Hello all,

I have a quick question:

I was in f1 status (my 2nd degree) and left in May 2008 (I-20 valid till 2010), after my finals. I decided I did not want to go back to school because I was offered a job in another country (based on my first degree) and so I didn't go back to US.

In October of 2008 my school sent me an email asking me where I was. I didn't know I was supposed to give the International Students Office word that I left and was not returning. I told them I have left, and submitted my I-94 at the airport when I left while I was in status in May. They notified SEVIS and made a note in their system.

I completely didnt know I had to notify the office of international students but they have been notified as of Oct 2008. (I left in May, whilst in status) Please note I do not owe anything to the school as I paid in full till I left) Now end of this year - 2009, I am planning to return to US to continue my studies.

My question is, was what I did wrong? Will there be some kind of bar against me?

Key points:
    1. I left while I was in status and have not returned since.
    2. I notified School 5 months after I left (I didn't know I had to tell them)
    3. They notified SEVIS and made a note in their system immediately
    4. Planning for a return trip. Will immigration have something against me in their system?

Thank you for the input.

In order to resume your studies in America, you will need to apply for a new F-1 visa...after having obtained a new I-20 from the school that you hope to attend.

Whether you receive another F-1 visa will depend on the outcome of your interview at the American Consulate in your home country.

If you receive a new F-1 visa, then I don't anticipate that you will have any problem at the port of entry.

You may have a problem. One of the requirements of the F-1 visa is that you abide by the conditions, which include complete and accurate information in SEVIS. You failed to provide that information to SEVIS through your designated school official. However, since you left the U.S. and did not accumulate unlawful status you may be in luck. However, it is best not to try and enter if you are on the visa waiver program, but get a visa. Make sure the consular official notes your issues in the NIV application process and notes it when you are fingerprinted in USVISIT.

This is an unusual issue and not encountered often by CBP officers at the border, so you could be in for a deferred inspection upon your arrival if not a refusal.

Good luck. Make sure you have your tickets and arrival stamps from your departure from the U.S.