50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Working with working permit

Is there a general list of U. S. companies that will hire workers with a working permit? Such as your big stores like Wal Mart, Target, Kmart, Stop and Shop, any other chains or major businesses on the east coast.

For instance my former employer would not hire workers with only a WP, they required a green card. However, our rival bank did hire working permits.

Thank you.

Is there a general list of U. S. companies that will hire workers with a working permit? Such as your big stores like Wal Mart, Target, Kmart, Stop and Shop, any other chains or major businesses on the east coast.

For instance my former employer would not hire workers with only a WP, they required a green card. However, our rival bank did hire working permits.

Thank you.

Kevinb you know what I see a problem with companies that would not hire with a work permit as I help with the hiring process at my company and the day the person starts work we have the complete the I-9 with their documentation. What ever that documentation is and as long as the person has the documents listed and required we cannot not hire them. I think if you check into employment law these companies could be in very big trouble for discrimination. As the US goverment has excellent anti discrimination rules for hiring. We are also enforced to keep them posted in a common area for employees to be able to read. I think I would check it out. Sorry I could not give you a list. But at my company we have many working in our office that have workpermits and are immigrants. I work for one of the largest insurance companies in the world.

Target is notorious for hiring illegal aliens.

Sharon is right. If a person has a valid WP and the I-9 requirements are met, they should not deny employment. Each employer has the right to choose the candidate they want or believe is the best person for the job, but based on identification preferences, no. Requiring specific forms of ID is illegal and requests must only be made per the I-9 requirements. If this ever comes up again, and I hope it doesn't, remind the potential employer that they can call the Social Security Administration to confirm your SSN, and they may even be able to prove the validity of your WP. This is ignorance and fear of breaking the law, I think, because employer sanctions are increasing in severity and frequency. All employers are permitted by law to employ a person with valid work documents. There is no list. If another employer or potential employer rejects you based on ID, ask for a written letter of refusal and then report them to the Dept of Labor - this is discrimination and violates several laws. Good luck with this.

But Linda, those of us who know how these immigrants obtained their EADs (via section 245(i) or fraudulent asylum claims) find it hard to employ these illegals.