publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Affidavit of Support, Am I Still Eligible?

Here's my situation. My father filed a visa petition for me on 1988 when he was still an immigramt that time and I was single. My father died in 1989. I married in 1990 and the petition became current in 1996. " The law before states that when the petitioner dies the petition goes with him."

Now there's the new law (Family Sponsor Act of 2001-H.R. 1892) signed by President Bush on March 13. The new law, Public Law 107-150, amends the Immigration and the Nationality Act to provide for the acceptance of an acceptance of an affidavit of support from another eligible sponsor if the original sponsor has died and the Attorney General has determined for humanitarian reasons that the original sponsor's classification should not be revoked. Under the new law eligible sponsors are: the spouse, parent, mother-in-law, father-in-law, sibling, child (if at least 18 years of age), son, daughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, grandparent, or grandchild of a sponsored alien or a legal guardian of a sponsored alien.

Am I still eligible for the petition even I got married? If not, what are my other options if there is any. My mother became a US citizen last 1998. Thanks.

Here's my situation. My father filed a visa petition for me on 1988 when he was still an immigramt that time and I was single. My father died in 1989. I married in 1990 and the petition became current in 1996. " The law before states that when the petitioner dies the petition goes with him."

Now there's the new law (Family Sponsor Act of 2001-H.R. 1892) signed by President Bush on March 13. The new law, Public Law 107-150, amends the Immigration and the Nationality Act to provide for the acceptance of an acceptance of an affidavit of support from another eligible sponsor if the original sponsor has died and the Attorney General has determined for humanitarian reasons that the original sponsor's classification should not be revoked. Under the new law eligible sponsors are: the spouse, parent, mother-in-law, father-in-law, sibling, child (if at least 18 years of age), son, daughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, grandparent, or grandchild of a sponsored alien or a legal guardian of a sponsored alien.

Am I still eligible for the petition even I got married? If not, what are my other options if there is any. My mother became a US citizen last 1998. Thanks.

Yes, your are still eligible if your mother becomes your patitioner, but you are in Third Preference.

Take a look on this site: http://travel.state.gov/visa_bulletin.html

Or http://www.ins.gov

Hope this will help you. Make sure take time to read on the second website address. It will help you understand more.

Tom

You might get different messages on this matter on whether you can still avail of this benefits.
    If i may give my own 2 cents...
    Find a lawyer whom you absolute trust on your case.One who is young,not necessarily reputable,
    aggressive in pursuit of finding justice to your case.Initial consultation are always free and therefore from there you can already make up your mind whether to get his/her services.
    Cases like yours need a lawyer,even if some in this forum do not believe in them,as i do.best of luck as i know there has been a case like this in the past.