50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens when an illegal alien leaves the country?

My friend, her husband and their 10 year old child came to the US 5 years ago. They overstayed their tourist visas and they plan to leave the US in a few months. They are taking a flight back to Mexico.

What should they expect at the airport? Will they be fingerprinted (even the child)? I believe their visas are not in their passports. They look like a green card (a credit card), with a magnetic band that gets swipe at the airport.

Thanks for any information.

My friend, her husband and their 10 year old child came to the US 5 years ago. They overstayed their tourist visas and they plan to leave the US in a few months. They are taking a flight back to Mexico.

What should they expect at the airport? Will they be fingerprinted (even the child)? I believe their visas are not in their passports. They look like a green card (a credit card), with a magnetic band that gets swipe at the airport.

Thanks for any information.

Someone12
    nothing will happen except they will hear a round of applause from patriotic American citizens, and of course, these visa cheats can look forward to at least a ten year bar to ever returning to my country legallly....

From everything I've read, there's always a chance they could be detained. It's tricky, but I wish them the best for going back to Mexico without any problems.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cayita:

Thanks for any information. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Depends on how long they overstayed. Anything over 6 months has the possibilty of being detained, but I do not think so under this regime. Takes up too much resources. It would be harder for them to return whether with a visa or attempting the VWP, which they are not eligible for now.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

I remember a few years ago I was traveling outside the US and the lady at the counter as me for my passport. She couldnt find my US visa so she asked me for it. Fortunately, I had brought my old passport, which had the visa (I was giving her my new passport because the old one was full).

That is why I was thinking the people at counter would check their entry to the US.

So if nobody fingerprints you at the airport, how do they know if someone overstays? I mean, anyone could come again and the officer at the airport is not going to check the whole passport (entry/exit stamps) to find out if you overstay. It doesnt sound like a very reliable system.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hudson:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cayita:

Thanks for any information. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Depends on how long they overstayed. Anything over 6 months has the possibilty of being detained, but I do not think so under this regime. Takes up too much resources. It would be harder for them to return whether with a visa or attempting the VWP, which they are not eligible for now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too bad for your Cowboys, eh? I initially picked them over the Vikings, but I changed my mind. Good thing. Kept me on top of the football pool!!! Always next year is my motto.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProudUSC:
    Too bad for your Cowboys, eh? I initially picked them over the Vikings, but I changed my mind. Good thing. Kept me on top of the football pool!!! Always next year is my motto. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well, for starters, Romo won his first playoff game, so we got over that hump. We beat a team three times in the same season, another first, and we had two shutouts in the same season, another first. Overall, it was a good season.

yes, I predicted the Boys to beat the Vikings. Too many mistakes and the score did reflect how close this game really was. If the Boys, and I know that was a if, scored on its three possessions into Vikings territory instead of stalling on two of them, then it would have been a much different game. I tip my hat off to the Vikings. Great game, better team won.

As for the Redskins, do not be surprised that several high priced talent will be departing Washington. Shannahan has an expertise of getting talent at bargain prices. he will keep the quarterback, draft the guy from Cincy, and the running back from Iowa. It will take two years, if the GM/Owner is patient enough.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

I remember a few years ago I was traveling outside the US and the lady at the counter as me for my passport. She couldnt find my US visa so she asked me for it. Fortunately, I had brought my old passport, which had the visa (I was giving her my new passport because the old one was full).

That is why I was thinking the people at counter would check their entry to the US.

So if nobody fingerprints you at the airport, how do they know if someone overstays? I mean, anyone could come again and the officer at the airport is not going to check the whole passport (entry/exit stamps) to find out if you overstay. It doesnt sound like a very reliable system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basing it solely on information in a passport that can easily be replaced ("I don't have the old one, sir. It was stolen"), or stamps smudged ("I know it's not that legible ... it went through the laundry and then my dog ate it!") seems like it would be even more unreliable to me.

Anyway ... all entries and exits are recorded in one big centralized computer system, alongside all your identifying data. They just don't normally do anything about it on exits, even though they know. You're technically self-deporting so why would they want to stop you leaving (unless of course you have warrants or other things that mean you shouldn't leave)? It's when they try to come back in that the trouble will begin.

P.S. The laundry and the dog chomp fate has happened to both my sons passports ...
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch