50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Passports and Alien Numbers

I was born in 1954 and arrived as a refugee from Cuba in 1963 (9 years old), my parents who were already here and citizens, petioned for me to come. In my passport it's listed that I couldn't be granted a Visa at the time but that I was "indefinitely paroled"; my passport also has my "A" number written in red on the back cover and on one of the "visa" pages. They also gave me this little card that has some stuff about resettlement and it has "PA" on the left-hand corner. Anyway, my parents knew nothing about nothing when it came to refugees and adjustment of status, and they knew nothing about the Cuban Adjustment Act that took effect in 1966. I was a minor and obviously knew nothing. Anyway, I waited the five years like my parents said I had to wait to apply for LPR. My questions are these: (1) Did I understand correctly what I read on the BCIS and Justice Department websites that having an "A" number printed on my passport meant that an automatic application was being sent in for me for LPR and that I would get a notice about such application within a couple of months? If I understood it correctly, how come I never received such notice (my parents would have said something and acted upon it). (2) Once I applied for LPR, shouldn't the person who handled my case have noticed that I was a Cuban refugee and thus the whole shebang about the date I was admitted for LPR would be backdated to 30 months after I arrived on U.S. soil? (3) Was there a certain year I had to apply by (i.e, the cut-off for applying under the Adjustment Act was 2 years) or lose the benefit from the Act? (4) If I'm right about anything and everything, is there some recourse I can take so that the date of my admission as a LPR can be changed so that I would have derived Citizenship from my parents a year after admission as a LPR? I have always wanted to be a Citizen, but I couldn't go through the process because a few of my religious objections disqualified me. Also, my father was a Citizen when I was born and had been in the U.S. for a little over ten years total (he traveled to Cuba a few months a year) but was told at the American Consulate in Cuba that he couldn't register me as a Citizen at birth because he wasn't a "citizen" for ten years (he naturalized in 1945); which was totally wrong information. Anyway, long story but I really would like an answer since I want my citizenship. Does anyone have the answer and know how I can resolve the matter? Thanks.

I was born in 1954 and arrived as a refugee from Cuba in 1963 (9 years old), my parents who were already here and citizens, petioned for me to come. In my passport it's listed that I couldn't be granted a Visa at the time but that I was "indefinitely paroled"; my passport also has my "A" number written in red on the back cover and on one of the "visa" pages. They also gave me this little card that has some stuff about resettlement and it has "PA" on the left-hand corner. Anyway, my parents knew nothing about nothing when it came to refugees and adjustment of status, and they knew nothing about the Cuban Adjustment Act that took effect in 1966. I was a minor and obviously knew nothing. Anyway, I waited the five years like my parents said I had to wait to apply for LPR. My questions are these: (1) Did I understand correctly what I read on the BCIS and Justice Department websites that having an "A" number printed on my passport meant that an automatic application was being sent in for me for LPR and that I would get a notice about such application within a couple of months? If I understood it correctly, how come I never received such notice (my parents would have said something and acted upon it). (2) Once I applied for LPR, shouldn't the person who handled my case have noticed that I was a Cuban refugee and thus the whole shebang about the date I was admitted for LPR would be backdated to 30 months after I arrived on U.S. soil? (3) Was there a certain year I had to apply by (i.e, the cut-off for applying under the Adjustment Act was 2 years) or lose the benefit from the Act? (4) If I'm right about anything and everything, is there some recourse I can take so that the date of my admission as a LPR can be changed so that I would have derived Citizenship from my parents a year after admission as a LPR? I have always wanted to be a Citizen, but I couldn't go through the process because a few of my religious objections disqualified me. Also, my father was a Citizen when I was born and had been in the U.S. for a little over ten years total (he traveled to Cuba a few months a year) but was told at the American Consulate in Cuba that he couldn't register me as a Citizen at birth because he wasn't a "citizen" for ten years (he naturalized in 1945); which was totally wrong information. Anyway, long story but I really would like an answer since I want my citizenship. Does anyone have the answer and know how I can resolve the matter? Thanks.