free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: deferred inspection.

Hello. I have a hopefully minor issue. I am a LPR for 30 years. I recently went on vaction and upon arrival I was sent to secndary inspection. The officer mentioned that I had a crimanal record so I would be going to deffered inspection in 30 days from now. The crimanl record they mentioned is 2 misdeamenor offences one was a tresspassing charge and another for receiving stolen property BUT this happened 23 years ago! and I got a regular DUI 5 years ago. Do I need a lawyer for this deferred inspection. Should I be worried ?

Hello. I have a hopefully minor issue. I am a LPR for 30 years. I recently went on vaction and upon arrival I was sent to secndary inspection. The officer mentioned that I had a crimanal record so I would be going to deffered inspection in 30 days from now. The crimanl record they mentioned is 2 misdeamenor offences one was a tresspassing charge and another for receiving stolen property BUT this happened 23 years ago! and I got a regular DUI 5 years ago. Do I need a lawyer for this deferred inspection. Should I be worried ?

You actually have three criminal convictions, not two. The DUI counts.

You should be VERY worried. You will be placed in removal proceedings at the deferred inspection.

Do not go. No action is taken against those who fail to show up. ICE takes little or no action when someone fails to appear at a deferred inspection and CBP has no authority to seek out and arrest those who fail to appear.

thanks for your response. I think your response is totally the opposite of what will happen.

Good luck then, you will need it. LPRs aren't sent to deferred inspection except to be placed in removal proceedings.

What deferred inspection office are you being sent to?

Are you sure it is 30 days not two weeks?

i am in california so the one in los angeles. and yes its 30 days.

I'd certainly have a lawyer with you at the deferred inspection. In general, 2 or more misdemeanors can make you ineligible for PR. Add in the recent DUI and it could get ugly. There are no statue of limitations when it comes to the INA. They can look back and act on old crimes forever. This seems to be happening much more these days.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

thanks Brit. although these petty crimes happened when i was young 23 years agao. its best to safe than sorry. I will take your advise and seach out a lawyer just in case things do get ugly. I just cant beleive that something you did such a long time ago can be an issue now.. I mean why NOW!.. what has changed.

What changed was that you crossed a border. Your name was run in computer databases and your criminal record became apparent. It was probably the DUI that got put in recently that caused this all. In any event, lawyer or not, get ready for removal proceedings. It doesn't matter how long ago they were. IT DOES NOT MATTER. Just repeating that the crimes were 23 years ago will not help you.

Your best bet is not to go and then never leave the U.S. again and do not apply for citizenship. Just ride this out under the radar.

thanks again for your response federale86 but I dont think riding this out under radar is the way to face a situation. persoanlly I think you are totally misleading me. Also getting a DUI is not a reason for depotation proceedings. I personally think this is more of a procudure, since they are using USVISIT (photograph and fingerprint) metod of screening people coming in to the US. and thats fine I support that but I just think they are casting a very wide net verses zeroing in on the people that should not be in this country.