50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Thinking Ahead

I will not be able to even file for AOS for my husband if 245i doesn't get passed, but I'm hoping for the best :-) I am a student, so my income for the last 3 years has not been 125% of the poverty line. I have been working (like a dog, might I add) part time during school and full time in the summer, though, so my income from last year was only $5,000 off. I do not think that my parents will be co-sponsors, since the idea scares them, especially the part about divorce not having any affect on the sponsor's obligations. I don't really blame them, since that thing sound pretty serious. I read that if you have five times the difference between your income and the cutoff line in assets, they will accept you. If the difference is $5000.00, that would mean I'd need $20,000.00 in assets. If I could convince a few family members to lend me money, so that I had that money in the bank, and sent in the bank statement to prove it, would it work? Does the BCIS have to accept that, even if they suspect that the money is just a loan to get the sponsorship approved? Can/will they ask me where the money came from? If I said it was a gift from my parents for a down payment on a house or something like that, would they accept it? I highly doubt that I will ever be able to convince my parents or any of my other family members to be co-sponsors, but I know that they would help me out by lending me some money to have in the bank. My parents own three houses. Could they transfer one of them into my name and then I could put it back into thier name after my hubby gets his green card? Would that work too? Please advise. Also, do automobiles count as assets?

I will not be able to even file for AOS for my husband if 245i doesn't get passed, but I'm hoping for the best :-) I am a student, so my income for the last 3 years has not been 125% of the poverty line. I have been working (like a dog, might I add) part time during school and full time in the summer, though, so my income from last year was only $5,000 off. I do not think that my parents will be co-sponsors, since the idea scares them, especially the part about divorce not having any affect on the sponsor's obligations. I don't really blame them, since that thing sound pretty serious. I read that if you have five times the difference between your income and the cutoff line in assets, they will accept you. If the difference is $5000.00, that would mean I'd need $20,000.00 in assets. If I could convince a few family members to lend me money, so that I had that money in the bank, and sent in the bank statement to prove it, would it work? Does the BCIS have to accept that, even if they suspect that the money is just a loan to get the sponsorship approved? Can/will they ask me where the money came from? If I said it was a gift from my parents for a down payment on a house or something like that, would they accept it? I highly doubt that I will ever be able to convince my parents or any of my other family members to be co-sponsors, but I know that they would help me out by lending me some money to have in the bank. My parents own three houses. Could they transfer one of them into my name and then I could put it back into thier name after my hubby gets his green card? Would that work too? Please advise. Also, do automobiles count as assets?

It is not necessary that your family should give additional Affidavit of Support, anybody who meets Federal Guidelines can give additional Affidavit of Support. In addition to that your husband can get a Notarized Job offer from some potential employer that if he gets legal authorization to work, then the employer will give him job.
    If you will take money as gifts, then you will need to declare to the IRS and when the Bank will issue a letter, they will also mention that these big sums of money have been recently deposited in the Bank. That is not a good idea. It would be better to talk to your parents, relatives and friends if somebody will be able to file Additional Affidavit of Support for your husband.
    Real Estate, Vehicles, Insurance Policies, Jewellery etc. all are considered as valuable assets.
    Good luck.

You have to have that money in the bank for at least 1 year. Strange though how your family does not want to be a co-sponsor for their son-in-law...have you told them that you're getting married or not? Or they don't like him 'cuz he's a "wetback"?

We're already married. They accept him now. They did not approve of our marriage because he was illegal. They never had anything against him personally, but thought that I "deserved better." They accept him as thier son-in-law, but I know my mother and I know that she is still nursing a false hope that the marriage will end before we have any children. My dad doesn't care and would happily sponsor him, but my mom wouldn't allow that. Of course, I haven't discussed it in detail with them. There is still a chance that I could get them to do it. Yes, the fact that he is a "wetback" has a lot to do with a lot of the problems that I faced from my family before our marriage. It will take a long time for him to prove himself to them, since he is not white. It's sad but that's how they are.