free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change of address

We are going to move to another place in the same town, but are having our mail forwarded to a PO box. Will BCIS accept a PO box as our address, or do they require a physical address? I filed an I-130 for my husband with the California center in March of this year. Which form do I need to send in for the address change? My husband and I live together. Will I need to send in a separate change of address for each of us?

We are going to move to another place in the same town, but are having our mail forwarded to a PO box. Will BCIS accept a PO box as our address, or do they require a physical address? I filed an I-130 for my husband with the California center in March of this year. Which form do I need to send in for the address change? My husband and I live together. Will I need to send in a separate change of address for each of us?

AR-11 for your husband only - see download forms

Chipmunk:

Technically, BCIS doesn't accept P.O.Box address for Federal mails, nor post offices deliever the Federal mails to P.O.Box addresses [even though they do deliver sometimes mistakenly]. However, some BCIS offices may choose to accept it, since their policies are varied on this issue. But, majority of them, won't accept it and will require a physical actual address. It's always better not to take a chance even though yr local BCIS does accept P.O.Box address.

First off, yr husband needs to send a completed Form AR-11 to the address mentioned on that form. I believe it goes to somewhere in KY.

Second, You have to notify to yr local BCIS office about yr change of address in a prescribed form available there, or you can write in a simple piece of paper. But, be sure to write your husband's file # [A#] and the information about beneficiary and petitioner. If he doesn't have A# yet [be remember A# on EAD/advance parole is not the same A# for AOS file, and he needs a A# for AOS], then write down full information about you as a petitioner and full information about yr husband as a beneficary. You need to give yr naturalization A# if you are naturalized citizen, date and country of birth with full last and first name. And, if you are natural born USC then attached a copy of yr passport or birth certificate. Yr husband also needs to give his full name, date of birth, and country of birth. He can attach a copy of EAD or advance parole so BCIS can track his AOS file without any hassel. It's always better if you can personally deliever a 'change of address notice' to local BCIS office so that you can have acknowledgment stamp on yr copy. Otherwise, as you know there is lots of things going on in the BCIS. I personally won't take anything for granted.

Third, you must need to notify to your local post office also in writting and in person a 'change of address form' for both of you [you and yr husband]. After 5 days of submitting 'change of address form', call the supervisor of that post office to make sure whether or not yr address has been updated as changed in their record. You can also call them on 800-222-1811 just to push them to be sure that everything goes well. And, if you can take an acknowledgment receipt/stamp about yr request of changing the address from them, then it would be great. Usually, post offices do send the written confirmation about change of address, but if you don't receice then you need to follow up on it aggressively. Because, this is yr only proof if something goes wrong. I want you to know that there are thousands of cases are denied and people are being deported just because INS has sent the letters to wrong addresses despite of people notified them in writing, and now these people could not present any proof without having anything in writing. I just have a case of a chineese woman, whose case of political asylum had been already granted, but she could not be able to attend the interview because she did not receive any notice about it at her new address even though she did notify INS thru certified mail, but INS are denying of receiving 'change of address' notice since certifying mail never says what it is inside. They are saying that she might have sent something else like 'status check request'. Her case is administratively closed and she is on deportation. It's been already 1 1/2 yrs since the case is closed. Now, I've done all the research for her to open her case again, but her chance is very slim since courts and INS always have denied the cases if it's over a year unless somebody can prove extreme circustances like they were in hospital or something else. So, it's better not take this matter lightly.

Fourth, if I were in this situation, I will also contact the new people [tenant or owner] at my previous address [by mail, in person, by phone] and will request them to forward my mail to my new address if in case they receive any of my mail mistakenly, since postal carriers do make mistake time to time, and mails are processed electronically instead of manually. As you know that you are not in a position to afford those mistakes. BEST OF LUCK.

"Technically, BCIS doesn't accept P.O.Box address for Federal mails, nor post offices deliever the Federal mails to P.O.Box addresses [even though they do deliver sometimes mistakenly]."

Not true. P.O.Box is a legitimate address that USCIS (formerly INS and later BCIS) accepts for all purposes. Likewise, USPS delivers any mail,including federal, to P.O.Boxes.

I also wanted to have my mail from BCIS delivered to P.O.Box, so I went today to my local office in Chicago. They refused to accept P.O.Box. I requested to speak to Supervisor, Supervisor told me the same thing that BCIS can not accept P.O.Box. They were asking me to give them street address.

Then, I went to my post office here in Highland Park, IL just to make sure what it is the correct information. I was told flatly by the Supervisor that United States Postal Service won't deliever the federal mails to P.O.Box addresses.

Perhaps rules changed recently... I've used P.O.Box address for all my correspondence with INS between 1998 and 2002. Even my Green Card arrived at P.O.Box.

BCIS office in Reno, NV also refused to accept P.O.Box address from one of my friend.

The reason that the BCIS will not accept a PO box is simple. It is not about "where the mail goes" it is about "where can they come and pick you up in the middle of the night"...

ARQU

While Sammy's information is very good, he mentions the local office and I see your case is pending at the California Service Center. For pending applications at a Service Center it is very important to update them ASAP in case you miss any documents they might mail. You can easily do this by calling the NCSC at 1-800-375-5283. They will now let you do it by phone as long as you have a pending application. Expect to be on hold for a few mintues, but it's not too bad.