ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 101

Thread: Permanent Residency through Marriage

  1. #1
    Hello Everybody!

    I need advice. I'm getting married to a US citizen for the sole purpose of Green Card. It is going to be a fixed marriage (Contract Marriage). People who have done this before and have got their Green Cards please advice me how to go about it.
    1. what steps do I need to take?
    2. Do my spouse and I have to live together?
    3. What kind of questions will we be asked during interview?

    Thank You.

  2. #2

    this board is to help people with their INS initiate them how to process their to elaborate their give them advice on many matters related to lagel immigration...
    this board does not initiate people into fraud...
    you'd better not enter into sham marriage. if you get caught you will regret it the rest of your life.

  3. #3
    you figure it out, the rest of (with REAL marriages) had to. Send us a card from jail we'll be waiting.

  4. #4
    The rest of US I meant to say. Actually why am I even bothering with you.

  5. #5
    Please, oh please, do not enter into a sham and fradulent marriage. First of all, you have to prove to INS that your marriage is valid. You have to prove that you have a normal married life with your spouse (i.e.: joint accounts, taxes, same last names, mortgages, leases, etc.). Assuming you pass this hurdle, at the interview the US citizen spouse is questioned UNDER OATH about your relationship. Assuming you are unlawfully able to get through this one too, what you'll get is a conditional green card (if you've been "married" less than 2 years at the time of the interview). This means that on the 2nd anniversary of when you were given your temporary green card you'll have to file yet another petition, the I-751, to remove the conditions on your green card. This means you have to submit to INS further proof that your marriage is legit. The people at INS are many things, but fools is not one of them. I strongly advise you not to go to jail for this.

  6. #6
    make sure you really think this through. Sure it sounds like the easiest and best way, but you will have to be with this woman for the next 3 years of your life (becuase you are only granted conditional residency initially.) You will be partially responsible for any and all debts that she incurs. If you are caught you could face deportation, a bar, or worse. Also, what happens if she meet someone in the next three years... and wants to get married or something.

    Think this through... not only does it give a bad name to people who are legitimately married, but it also can be somewhat more complicated and more difficult than you think.

  7. #7
    basically what I am saying is that before you do something like this, you better think way past the interview... because even if you pass the interview ok there are still a minimum of three more years to think about.... and even beyond (credit history, blackmail, etc.)

  8. #8
    70% of marriages between Americans and foreign nationals are fake. INS just can't detect all the fraudulent cases. In sum, one does not have a better chance when is illegal. Even if you're caught (10% of cases) they'll only deport you, you won't go to jail.

  9. #9
    Title 8, United States Code, Section 1325, states that any
    individual who knowingly enters into a marriage contract for
    the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws
    shall be imprisoned for not more than five years, or fined not
    more than $250,000, or both.
    What are the penalties for committing marriage
    fraud or submitting false information or both?
    Title 18, United States Code, Section 1001, states that
    whoever willfully and knowingly falsifies a material fact,
    makes a false statement, or makes use of a false document will
    be fined up to $10,000, imprisoned for up to five years, or both.

  10. #10

Similar Threads

  1. Permanent residency through a second marriage to a US citizen
    By com2la in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-19-2009, 08:54 PM
  2. Got my Permanent Residency!!!
    By olaolu in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2007, 04:27 PM
  3. Permanent residency?
    By cecil_88 in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2006, 09:33 AM
  4. Please help: my ex got permanent residency through me..
    By imsad in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 07:57 PM
  5. Permanent Residency
    By Yemi Ojo in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 08:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: