free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: crossing canada/us border

Hi
    I am a canadian citizen but was born in one of the country listed for special registration. Do i still have to register at the border when crossing or in ins office if i'm already in the usa (before registration starts)?

Hi
    I am a canadian citizen but was born in one of the country listed for special registration. Do i still have to register at the border when crossing or in ins office if i'm already in the usa (before registration starts)?

If you haven't already done so, you might want to review the information about special registration on the INS web site:

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/...lreg/index.htm

Sad, but true - whether or not you will be subject to NSEERS when crossing the border may differ from one trip to the next, depending on the Port of Entry official and how they are interpreting the law...

Regarding registration while already in U.S., I know of one Canadian citizen (born in Lebanon) who presented himself at the INS office, and was told he did not have to register. (If this happens to you, I suggest you ask for some kind of receipt or "verification" that you went to register, just so no one can ever later say that you did not comply with the registration requirement).

Another Canadian citizen I know (born in Iran) went to the very same INS office and was required to register. Seems to me they should have been treated the same, but nothing surprises me with the INS!

The real issue is whether you're willing to risk NOT registering, and perhaps later suffering the consequences for not having complied with the requirement, or alternatively, going to register and having some problem arise as a result.

It's a difficult issue, but if the rumors are true - eventually everyone is going to be required to register.

The American Immigration Lawyers Association has a document on their web site that lists the questions you are likely to be asked:

http://www.aila.org/fileViewer.aspx?docID=9396&index=0

If you do go to register, I would suggest having already completed this document so you can refer to it when you're answering the Examiner's questions...

Just my 2 cents worth.