50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Three and Ten Year Ban (and parole?)

Dos anyone else see the unfairness of this law?
    Is there anything we can do about it? Anyway around it, through it, over it, etc? (Extreme and unusual hardship to spuse aside - I hear it's easier to win the lottery).

I don't hear anyone talking about this topic, and I would love to get a discussion going about it.I read something about possibly applying for parole - but have no idea how that could be done. And, does that mean that the immigrant could never get a green card?

Thanks everyone!
    juju

Dos anyone else see the unfairness of this law?
    Is there anything we can do about it? Anyway around it, through it, over it, etc? (Extreme and unusual hardship to spuse aside - I hear it's easier to win the lottery).

I don't hear anyone talking about this topic, and I would love to get a discussion going about it.I read something about possibly applying for parole - but have no idea how that could be done. And, does that mean that the immigrant could never get a green card?

Thanks everyone!
    juju

They have a bar time so that people don't overstay their visas. Even they do have it, people still don't follow the rules. =(

None of us knew about this bar. I think most immigrants as well as Americans have no idea it exists. A deterrent cannot work if nobody knows about it. And isn't the ratio of time a little extreme?

I suppose most American wouldn't know about immigration unless they are some how related to a person that is going through INS process. My husband doesn't know a thing about immigration until he met me neither do my American friends. The same goes for me with immigration laws in my own country.

I sort of knew about the bar, but not in detail. What I do know is that I would be trouble if I didn't maintain my non-immigrant status.

I do agree that 10 year bar is a somewhat too extreme. Maybe it should 3 and 5.

These laws were passed in 1996 and took effect in 1997 and have been well known ever since. They were designed to encourage visa applicants to tell the truth and do what they said they were going to do when coming to the US. If someone overstays by a year for example, it would seem then that person did tell the truth to a) the embassy and b) the INS. Yet the US bestowed a privilege upon the visa applicant but that person decided not to abide by the terms of that privilege. Why should we reward such behavior?
    A visa is a privilege, not a right. Abusers should expect a severe penalty for violating the terms of the visa privilege.

These laws were passed in 1996 and took effect in 1997 and have been well known ever since. They were designed to encourage visa applicants to tell the truth and do what they said they were going to do when coming to the US. If someone overstays by a year for example, it would seem then that person did tell not the truth to a) the embassy and b) the INS. Yet the US bestowed a privilege upon the visa applicant but that person decided not to abide by the terms of that privilege. Why should we reward such behavior?
    A visa is a privilege, not a right. Abusers should expect a severe penalty for violating the terms of the visa privilege.

Wait until it involves losing your immediate family.

Thank you

Perhaps somebody should have thought of that before violating US laws and abusing a privilege. Very few people overstay because they "don't have a choice." Unless a person was in jail or a coma, they had every free choice to leave the US when their authorized stay was over...other excuses are just plain baloney.