free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Missing interview - due to address change

Hello everybody,
    We filled for AOS in the LA office. My wife is expecting a letter from BCIS to tell us when the interview will be.
    We've had a problem with our housing since currently I am between jobs and have been moving everywhere I find I job. Its not been easy since given the current market engineers are layed off even 3 months into the job.

My question is. If I missed my interview because I changed my address and did not get my letter, how would BCIS take it. I also was adviced not to update my address with BCIS until I am sure that this will be my residence for atleast 6 months.

P.s. We may even be out of the state if I get an job out of state.

Anyone please advice.

Hello everybody,
    We filled for AOS in the LA office. My wife is expecting a letter from BCIS to tell us when the interview will be.
    We've had a problem with our housing since currently I am between jobs and have been moving everywhere I find I job. Its not been easy since given the current market engineers are layed off even 3 months into the job.

My question is. If I missed my interview because I changed my address and did not get my letter, how would BCIS take it. I also was adviced not to update my address with BCIS until I am sure that this will be my residence for atleast 6 months.

P.s. We may even be out of the state if I get an job out of state.

Anyone please advice.

As far as I'm concerned and know, the alien have to inform BCIS change of address within 10 days of moving to the new place. You have to fill AAR form and you even can call 1800 number to inform them about the change of address. Since you never inform them about this, I don't know what else you can do. May be someone else who had the experience can advise you.

I'm one of you, not a lawyer, act accordingly.

One more thing, move to one place to another many times will delay and might cause the file lost in transfer. So try to reduce or wait until she get her GC.

Thanks for your advice Me2,
    I realize that when the date comes we will need to have some money for our lawyer and for the medical exams.
    We cannot afford to have two residences or maybe we could use a relatives residence for all mailed communication.

Its a catch 22 - move and miss the interview stay and not afford to pay the expenses that come with the interview.

Has anyone had such an experience?

If you move to the same jurisdiction of your area, thats fine to use your relative address, but please bear in mind that BCIS do not accept to have interview at the different place of jurisdiction specially AOS based on marriage, if they find out on your interview date, you will have a difficult time.

If you have a lawyer, why don't you ask his advise? He should know what you should do and not.

Good luck.

I'm not a lawyer, pls act accordingly.

I think you'd be in trouble. That happened to my friend, she missed her interview because she moved and did not recieve the letter. They basically closed her case and made her eligable for deportation. Here she is over a year later, with a hired lawyer who got the case re-opened but she is still not out of the woods and she should have been a VERY long time ago. If I were you I'd talk to a good lawyer...even the paralegals will give good advice over the phone. Good luck!

Its not always true that if you change locations your file is transferred. I moved from MA to NC and they sent me my letter to go for interview in MA. The letter was sent here to NC and I did not have a problem going for the interview!!!!

Kibaki,

Your case based on marriage too?

Something similar happened to me. I was waiting for the fingerprints appointment.
    It never came, and I moved to a new place and I sent the documments 3 weeks after.
    It is true that you should have sent that application to inform them about the moving.
    But I think you can still try to find out if they sent you the letter before is too late.
    Just MAKE SURE they know where you live now and they are aware of this situation with the letter.
    In my case, they wont tell me if they ever sent me the letter, and they wont tell me if it got lost.
    Maybe they will help you ( Chicago INS ****s you know!!)