free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello Americans.

Immigrants, not Americans, must adapt. I'm tired of this nation worrying about whether we offend some individual or their culture. Since the attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism. However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining that our patriotism offends others. I am not against immigration, and I don't mind anyone seeking a better life in America. Our population is composed of descendants of immigrants. However, there are a few things the immigrants need to understand:

This idea of America being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. We have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. We speak English, not Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or an other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly document-ed. It is certainly appropri- ate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then pick another nation as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, you should seriously consider moving to another nation. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we don't care how you did things where you came from. This is our country, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But once you are done complaining, I encourage you to take advantage of one other great American freedom, the right to leave.

Immigrants, not Americans, must adapt. I'm tired of this nation worrying about whether we offend some individual or their culture. Since the attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism. However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining that our patriotism offends others. I am not against immigration, and I don't mind anyone seeking a better life in America. Our population is composed of descendants of immigrants. However, there are a few things the immigrants need to understand:

This idea of America being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. We have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. We speak English, not Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or an other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly document-ed. It is certainly appropri- ate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then pick another nation as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, you should seriously consider moving to another nation. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we don't care how you did things where you came from. This is our country, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But once you are done complaining, I encourage you to take advantage of one other great American freedom, the right to leave.

Very well said! I don't tell locals how to live when I'm visiting their country. But then again, isn't it kinda weird of U.S' stance and influence in the world political arena? Some food for thought for everyone!

I am an immigrant myself and I wholeheartedly agree with the above expressed sentiment. If you come to this country you better make some effort at least to learn the language. If US becomes increasingly segregated based on national and religious grounds, if it turns into a country where half of the populace does not even understand the language the other half speaks, if it becomes a nation of multiple cultural enclaves united by nothing other than consumerism, it ultimately will turn into another Yugoslavia. A country should stay united, a nation should have a common core built of common cultural values, common language and common destiny or it will simply disintegrate.

" learn the language to be a part of our society", I agree with you on this with all my heart and soul so to speak. I remember a few years, our city (Los Angeles,Ca.) passed an ordinance banning all signs in other language except english. Even our employer prohibit us speaking our dialect in the place of work. But look, recently our politicians are trying to learn spanish. they say there are 30 millions spanish people in the U.S. now and provably 8 millions are voter. They even said that Pres. Bush win the election becuase he speaks spanish in the campaign. Do we have to blame our politicians and the 1986 Amnesty law which triggered the exodous of amnesty seekers which I believe many of them were not qualified but because probably they can get arround with it, they become greed card holder and finally a US citizen. When I came to this country, I went through the legal process. I did not just step in on this country from nowhere.I have a bachelor's degree which was a requirement to immigrate. I have a lucrative practice of my profession back home. Here, when I came, I am nothing. But I stay because I believe in freedom and democracy. I ran away from a good fight so to speak. Our country was then a dictatorship (of cource with the tacit approval the US gov. because of huges military facilities located the country.) but my people fought back through people power. But I stayed, though we have different culture but the most important thing to me is that we have the same culture values. It is true America or any other country can not stand dvided in culture, language or others that will make a country great. But America is a great country even after 9-11. It is still the greatest country in the world. I wonder why the complain. Is somebody afraid of the wolf?

I believe it is Australia that requires of all immigrants to possess a certain level of fluency in English language or they are simply not allowed to come there. I think that this is a very wise and reasonable requirement. It would have been good if the US also had such a rule not only for naturalization but for permanent residency purposes as well. I run into too many people on the streets these days who just stare at you blankly when you try to speak to them in English. They have to at least make an effort!

Welcome to the world.....I am from the UK and am a perminent resident of the USA. Unfortunately, this is a common situation in most of the world's countries. Well at least the ones worth living in. You get a high population of one culture in the case of the UK, Indian and Pakistani and they stick together and form their own community within the new country in which they live, so there is no need to go beyond that, as they have basically transplanted their old country into their new one, with the added benefits of having a better life-style.

I notice that in the USA that there is a big hispanic culture, but what you have to realise is that in the beginning alot of them were invited in to do the work that your average american wouldn't do, so it is probably better to accept the fact that you cant change it and embrace the notion that it adds to the country's wealth (in terms of culture).......as for speaking english. I have met some home grown americans that struggle with the language and it is supposed to be their "first language".

You can take my few of course.....if you can't beat them.....join them

My husband came from New Zealand. When he enrolled in college, he was told he had to take the TOFEL or something like that, so they could see how well he commanded the English language. He was on his way to take the test when I stopped the lady to ask where she was taking him. She basically said he had to prove he could speak English. (This was a COLLEGE professional) I told her "That is ridiculous, he speaks English better than me. He is from NEW ZEALAND for crying out loud."

She said, "I am sorry but he has to be tested and if his skills are below standard, he will have to take English as a second language. " I told her that my husband spoke English better than her too and asked her what language she thinks they speak in New Zealand. She had no idea! Needless to say a supervisor was called in, and this lady was told that students from England and New Zealand did not have to take the TOFEL.

I agree with the statement that all immigrants should learn the English language. Thought you would just like to know that the American colleges are on their toes about this. LOL

pretty imperialistic statements, at least some of them...

especially Jed ;-) then you're referring to the pockets of groups of people who stick in their own culture and try to impose it on the native population, aren't you really talking about the brits who have come to foreign nations, imposed their own laws, violated and raped the natives...

I don't see the majority of the American immigrants coming with such vengenance into this country, but I really don't like this whinning about some Spanish spoken here, or some Phillipino chatting there.

America is all about being who you are and what you are, even if that is an unpopular thing to some racists. It is not about adopting to the british bs that some mistake as the American culture.. and yes it also means religious freedom, and not having to adhere to the beliefs of the majority (Christianity in this case, I guess).

And if you can't be American about it, then perhaps it's time for you to move somethere where you're so important again and don't have to share equality with other human beings...

I just have to say that other countries think the same and rightly so. I was stationed in Germany for just over a year. I learned quite a bit of German while there because I had some wonderful German friends.

However, I did run across a lot of German citizens who were hell bent that I should speak German in their country. (which is odd because a great deal of them speak English) I agreed.

One of these gents actually spit on the ground in front of me and walked off murmering obscenities because I could not understand what he was asking me.(I guess we all learn the foreign obscenities wether we want to or not)

I don't think it's an unreasonable request to ask foreigners to learn the main language of the country they live in.

It's rather amazing to me that anyone with a different opinion than that of "jump" is a racist. You demand tolerance, yet you are intolerant.

I find that true in a lot of cases. A gay man at work threatens people with all sorts of terrible concequences if they mention God or play low volume inspirational music at their desk, however if anyone dares to mention anything at all about what music he plays or what he wears or anything at all about him, he goes and "tells on them" I have mentioned that he is the most intolerant person I know, yet he demands that everyone else is tolerant.

He says that is not true. He just thinks he is right and they are wrong and he does not want to be uncomfortable in the work place. (figure that out)

Other Gay people there could care less what we pray, or play. They are truly tolerant and don't expect more tolerance from others than they give themselves.

If America is about tolerance as you say "Jump" then why would you not be tolerant of these poster's views?