50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Spouses living apart while AOS pending

Ok, I am the kid with all the stupid questions about college and immigration. So as you know I am applying for AOS. My application is currently pending but I received a great offer from a school about 3 hours away from where my wife and I live. She is going to school here and if I accept my school's offer I will be going to school about 175 miles away this January. Do you think that the BCIS might have a problem with us living 3 hours apart when we go to our AOS interview in May or June? Of course she will probably move to Columbus with me when she gratudates, but my problem is that I do not want to miss a full right scholarship to a prestigious college? anybody with advice? should i postpone my college till my interview is cleared, or should I not risk losing the school's offer and go this Fall semester

Ok, I am the kid with all the stupid questions about college and immigration. So as you know I am applying for AOS. My application is currently pending but I received a great offer from a school about 3 hours away from where my wife and I live. She is going to school here and if I accept my school's offer I will be going to school about 175 miles away this January. Do you think that the BCIS might have a problem with us living 3 hours apart when we go to our AOS interview in May or June? Of course she will probably move to Columbus with me when she gratudates, but my problem is that I do not want to miss a full right scholarship to a prestigious college? anybody with advice? should i postpone my college till my interview is cleared, or should I not risk losing the school's offer and go this Fall semester

I had my AOS interview already.
    As long as the marriage is bona fide you are absolutely fine! 3 hours away is nothing.
    You will be called for your first interview no matter what. No matter if you live together or seperate. After AOS there is another document that you need to file but you need to worry about your AOS first and foremost and you should go to school. Once the day of your interview comes you explain them that you are student and this is why you guys did not live together. you can put one address on the application (where the notice of the interview will come) and you are set.
    get your education. How you are going to support her and live happily. Pursue your education and your future.
    Bravo!

Sounds pretty simple...

and I hope the BCIS will understand our situation of both of us being college students. Plus we will have lived together for a about a year in January. I am still a kind of worried about the interview though, and she is too. Could you or anyone else who is reading this post inform me of some of the question they ask at an AOS interview; or are there different questions for each interview???

My interview was simple.
    They asked me when we met and when i entered the country. requested our lease and joint taxes.
    But some people may have a little longer interview. depends on the officer. there was just a post about a man who went to the interview by himself and INS officer allowed him to talk to his wife and reschedule him another date to come. That is rare!
    very rare.
    Listen to me. As long as you and your wife love each other have respect for each other there is nothing that will break you guys apart.
    people decide to live their life differently. For instance, I did not want my husband and I to have joint bank accounts. That is actually very smart of us because there would be tons of fights but some people say that INS looks at those statements highly. Well, I am sorry but joint accounts is not the break of make deal of our relationship. No one should tell us what we should have together besides ourselves.
    If you live apart there are proofs you can come up. Phone bills calling your wife, if you fly use flight tickets to prove you came to see her.
    In the end you and her are the biggest proof of love and bigger than green card.

WOW...

you make very good points and i feel much better about the interview now after reading your post. the joint accounts and stuff aren't a big problem for me or her. we just trust each other and it is not a problem if she takes a certain amount out of my account or I out of hers. we have cell phone bills in our name and we will try to make the utility bills in our names too, just so there are no trivial questions (for example, why don't we have the bills in both of our names) asked at the interview. I feel much relaxed now, and yeah I read the post about that man going to the interview on his own. That was a great story and with even better ending. Well, hope I get to talk to you later, maybe in another topic.